Does the removal of fat from CoolSculpting result in any benefits other than an improvement to the physical aesthetic?

Or does it merely affect the cosmetic appearance? Sorry, I've asked a similar question before, but I don't think I articulated it correctly. I know that it's not a means to weight loss, but I'm just curious as to whether or not there are any benefits to being rid of that excess fat tissue, no matter how minor (aside from cosmetic improvement and subsequent boost in confidence).

Coolsculpting

Coolsculpting is an excellent form of non-invasive  fat reduction for the right patient. Some applicators take 1 or 2 hours but the new advantage applicators take only 35 minutes and have significantly less risk for delayed onset pain (especially in the abdomen). Results are seen at 2 months and typically 1-3 treatments will be necessary on each area to achieve ideal results. The number of treatments depends on the amount of fat there and the patient's goals.  There is not downtime and the results can be impressive in the right patient.  We also use the Zimmer Z-wave for improved patient comfort and added results. The best candidates are those who are in pretty good shape with areas of stubborn fat that won't go away no matter what. This procedure is a cosmetic procedure.

My best,

Sheila Nazarian, MD, MMM

Beverly Hills, Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Benefit of CoolSculpting

The benefit of CoolSculpting is a cosmetic one.  The procedure will reduce fat in the given area treated without surgery.  The benefit is that you will look better.  It is important to continue healthy eating and exercise to maintain good results.  CoolSculpting can be the "kick start" to a new outlook on weight loss and dieting.

CoolSculpting can lift self esteem

Great question. CoolSculpting results are cosmetic only. The treatment does not result in appreciable weight loss or improve diabetes. CoolSculpting is not a treatment to achieve extreme weight loss. The good news is that CoolSculpting can very positively impact self esteem. It can provide an emotional stimulus to workout and increase exercise.

Peter J. Capizzi, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Subcutaneous fat pad loss

CoolSculpting targets subcutaneous fat cells in isolated stubborn areas such as abdomen, love handles or back. It does not work on visceral or fat around the organs. I have had many patients tell me that because of their new body image they felt as if they had more confidence to go out and continue to diet and exercise. By reducing an area of fat on a patient who may have tried other options with no success can be really encouraging.

My practice is a top provider in the country of CoolSculpting Complete. We provide two systems so you can achieve the best results in the least amount of time. We also include vibrational therapy to aid in the lymphatic process. Because we are a top provider, my practice offers patients who buy one area to get another free.

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

CoolSculpting removal of fat is primarily for cosmetic benefit

CoolSculpting cryolipolisis removes unwanted fat cells from the fat pad on top of muscle. The benefits I think you are referring to of fat loss has to do with decreased insulin resistance associated with loss of mid-section or omental fat. This is the fat around the intestines and is not treated by coolsculpting or any other fat removal process other than weight loss by diet and exercise.  There may be other benefits of the fat loss caused by coolsculpting, but none that has been researched. I would encourage diet and exercise for the majority of fat reduction and health benefits, with coolsculpting or other fat reduction procedures reserved for the stubborn fat that refuses to budge. Good luck!

Meg Cherry, MD
Birmingham Dermatologic Surgeon