What is the Recovery Time for Both a Breast Lift with Implants and a Mini-tummy Tuck?

What is the recovery time for a breast lift with implants and a mini tummy tuck? I plan to take 2 1/2 weeks off from work (I sit at a desk all day). Is that enough time? What will the recovery be like? What type of pain will I be in? Thank you.

Breast Lift Recovery

The day after surgery, you should be up and around with only mild discomfort. You may be on pain medication for another several days. Straining, bending and lifting must be avoided, however, since these activities might cause increased swelling or even bleeding. You will be instructed to sleep on your back to avoid pressure on your breasts.

We do not use drains for this procedure. You will be instructed to wear a support bra for a few weeks, until the swelling and discoloration of your breasts diminish. Sutures are removed at two weeks. Several of the procedures only use absorbable sutures. Sutures around the areola are always the dissolving kind!

You may notice that you feel less sensation in the nipple and areola areas. This is usually temporary. It may, however, take weeks, months or even more than a year before sensation returns to normal. Your breasts may also require some time to assume a more natural shape. Incisions will initially be red or pink in color. They will remain this way for many months following surgery. Best of luck!

Dhaval M. Patel 

Double Board Certified 

Plastic Surgeon 

Hoffman Estates 

Barrington 

Oakbrook 

Chicago 

Hoffman Estates Plastic Surgeon

Recovery Varies: 6 Weeks Until ALL Normal Activity

The recovery time following the mommy makeover varies from patient to patient and depends upon a variety of factors.  I find that performing these procedures together doesn’t significantly increased the length of recovery.  I recommend minimal activity for about two weeks following the procedure.  During this period, light activities such as bathroom and kitchen privileges are acceptable, but nothing more strenuous.  After two weeks, patients can slowly resume most activities except those that involve strenuous exertion.  After six weeks, patients should be able to resume all of their normal activities, including strenuous exertion and heavy lifting.

Patients typically receive narcotic pain relievers for five to seven days following surgery.  They’ve usually switched to Tylenol at that point.   It’s important to have an adequate support system available.  When these steps are taken, most patients feel that the recovery was less difficult than anticipated. 

Healing and Activity Following a Mommy Makeover

The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction.   

Healing after a  #tummytuck will require time. Some patients are out of bed and walking the night of surgery and every hour while awake. I allow my patients to return to work at one to two weeks with 14 days preferred.  However, no lifting or straining.  At three weeks, increased level of activity and full with no restrictions, at 6 weeks. #MummyTummy is a term given to modified tummy tucks which can use liposuction and skin tightening with radiofrequency such Vanquish, Vela3, thermage, thermiRF and others.  The actual fat contouring can be done non-surgically as well with #UltraShape or Cool-Sculpting.
As I advise my patients, if your work keeps you sedentary, you may return whenever you feel up to it. If your work is strenuous, wait until your work activity does not cause any superficial pain.
Some employers will modify a person’s job duties so they can back sooner, but without physical activity. Our office can provide our patients with a note stating they are not to engage in strenuous activity for a specified period of time. The note will not disclose what procedure they have underwent. Therefore, you may have to request a similar note from your surgeon if you are not independently employed. I recommend avoiding heavy lifting and strenuous #activity for six weeks following your surgery. With that said, it may help you plan your return to work accordingly.

As for heavy lifting and other #strenuous #activities, it should be avoided for until you have clearance from your surgeon. You may, however, do normal activities at any time if they cause no pain or #discomfort. Let your body tell you what you can or cannot do. Aerobic exercise will raise your blood pressure, which could cause late bleeding and harm your result. Once you begin exercising again, start gently and let your body tell you what it can tolerate. Don’t rush!!  If you have concerns about your healing, or pain that you question to be unusual, it is important to call your plastic surgeon to discuss these further asked to be examined.

Mini Tummy Tuck vs a Full Tummy Tuck or Abdominoplasty and a Breast Implant and Lift

A breast augmentation with a lift and a tummy tuck (full or mini) is frequently done at the same time and is called a Mommy Makeover. The surgery takes about 5 hours and for both procedures you can have rapid recovery protocol that minimizes your down time. With rapid recovery, NO Drain protocol for both procedures the recovery will be 24 to 36 hours. You are not healed but you will be able to get out and do things at that point.

I hope that helps.

Best regards.

Brian Windle, MD
Kirkland Plastic Surgeon

Recovery Time for Abdominoplasty

My Melbourne, FL, patients who have a full abdominoplasty along with any additional procedures typically take one week off from what I would call a “desk” job. If you are having a mini abdominoplasty, you may need less time off depending on the requirements for your job. I would discuss this with your plastic surgeon in order to best plan your time off.

Amy Ortega, MD
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Recovery Time

Hello. The ideal recovery time after surgery that you mention is about 4-6 weeks. Not everyone can take as much time off work and it is important that fact that you mention of what you do in your office work. In your case it would be great if you took three weeks before returning to work.

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

Mommy makeover recovery

You can go back to work in about 2-3 weeks. Walk leisurely around as you recover to minimize the risk of blood clots. Don't strain yourself by lifting anything or bending over as you recover. You can start cardio at 3-4 weeks and strength training at 6 weeks after surgery.

Mommy makeover recovery time

From your question, I think two and a half weeks should be more than enough.  A mini tummy tuck is not nearly as painful as a full tummy tuck, so your time frame seems quite realistic.  Good luck!  

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Breast lift and BA recovery

Regarding Post-Operative Healing after breast lift with implants:Here are the instructions we give to my patients:

You will go home in a bra or with only light dressings over the incision lines.
Patients can usually return to work in one week to ten days. Sutures are dissolvable but the ending knot is removed within 1-2 weeks.
Initial discomfort is easily controlled with oral medication. Light activities may be started in 7-10 days with light lifting of 20 pounds or less from 10 days to 3 wks. After 3 weeks progressive exercise with running and lifting of heavier weights after 6 weeks.

Recovery after Mommy Makeover Surgery?

You will find that your plastic surgeon is in the best position to advise you in regards to returning to work. Every patient's  level of discomfort,  pain threshold, and return to activities  differs ( sometimes significantly).  Given that your plastic surgeon knows you ( much better than online consultants) and the planned operation,  it will be best if you check with him/her.