What is the Recovery Time for Both a Breast Lift with Implants and a Mini-tummy Tuck?

What is the recovery time for a breast lift with implants and a mini tummy tuck? I plan to take 2 1/2 weeks off from work (I sit at a desk all day). Is that enough time? What will the recovery be like? What type of pain will I be in? Thank you.

Healing and Activity Following a Mommy Makeover

The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction.   

Healing after a  #tummytuck will require time. Some patients are out of bed and walking the night of surgery and every hour while awake. I allow my patients to return to work at one to two weeks with 14 days preferred.  However, no lifting or straining.  At three weeks, increased level of activity and full with no restrictions, at 6 weeks. #MummyTummy is a term given to modified tummy tucks which can use liposuction and skin tightening with radiofrequency such Vanquish, Vela3, thermage, thermiRF and others.  The actual fat contouring can be done non-surgically as well with #UltraShape or Cool-Sculpting.
As I advise my patients, if your work keeps you sedentary, you may return whenever you feel up to it. If your work is strenuous, wait until your work activity does not cause any superficial pain.
Some employers will modify a person’s job duties so they can back sooner, but without physical activity. Our office can provide our patients with a note stating they are not to engage in strenuous activity for a specified period of time. The note will not disclose what procedure they have underwent. Therefore, you may have to request a similar note from your surgeon if you are not independently employed. I recommend avoiding heavy lifting and strenuous #activity for six weeks following your surgery. With that said, it may help you plan your return to work accordingly.

As for heavy lifting and other #strenuous #activities, it should be avoided for until you have clearance from your surgeon. You may, however, do normal activities at any time if they cause no pain or #discomfort. Let your body tell you what you can or cannot do. Aerobic exercise will raise your blood pressure, which could cause late bleeding and harm your result. Once you begin exercising again, start gently and let your body tell you what it can tolerate. Don’t rush!!  If you have concerns about your healing, or pain that you question to be unusual, it is important to call your plastic surgeon to discuss these further asked to be examined.

Mini Tummy Tuck vs a Full Tummy Tuck or Abdominoplasty and a Breast Implant and Lift

A breast augmentation with a lift and a tummy tuck (full or mini) is frequently done at the same time and is called a Mommy Makeover. The surgery takes about 5 hours and for both procedures you can have rapid recovery protocol that minimizes your down time. With rapid recovery, NO Drain protocol for both procedures the recovery will be 24 to 36 hours. You are not healed but you will be able to get out and do things at that point.

I hope that helps.

Best regards.

Brian Windle, MD
Kirkland Plastic Surgeon

Recovery Time for Abdominoplasty

My Melbourne, FL, patients who have a full abdominoplasty along with any additional procedures typically take one week off from what I would call a “desk” job. If you are having a mini abdominoplasty, you may need less time off depending on the requirements for your job. I would discuss this with your plastic surgeon in order to best plan your time off.

Amy Ortega, MD
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Recovery Time

Hello. The ideal recovery time after surgery that you mention is about 4-6 weeks. Not everyone can take as much time off work and it is important that fact that you mention of what you do in your office work. In your case it would be great if you took three weeks before returning to work.

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

Mommy makeover recovery

You can go back to work in about 2-3 weeks. Walk leisurely around as you recover to minimize the risk of blood clots. Don't strain yourself by lifting anything or bending over as you recover. You can start cardio at 3-4 weeks and strength training at 6 weeks after surgery.

Mommy makeover recovery time

From your question, I think two and a half weeks should be more than enough.  A mini tummy tuck is not nearly as painful as a full tummy tuck, so your time frame seems quite realistic.  Good luck!  

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Breast lift and BA recovery

Regarding Post-Operative Healing after breast lift with implants:Here are the instructions we give to my patients:

You will go home in a bra or with only light dressings over the incision lines.
Patients can usually return to work in one week to ten days. Sutures are dissolvable but the ending knot is removed within 1-2 weeks.
Initial discomfort is easily controlled with oral medication. Light activities may be started in 7-10 days with light lifting of 20 pounds or less from 10 days to 3 wks. After 3 weeks progressive exercise with running and lifting of heavier weights after 6 weeks.

Recovery after Mommy Makeover Surgery?

You will find that your plastic surgeon is in the best position to advise you in regards to returning to work. Every patient's  level of discomfort,  pain threshold, and return to activities  differs ( sometimes significantly).  Given that your plastic surgeon knows you ( much better than online consultants) and the planned operation,  it will be best if you check with him/her.

Recovery time for breast lift and mini-tummy tuck

• Stay home a minimize activity for the first 5 days or so
  • Can return to work and most daily activities after about 5 days
  • No heavy lifting or vigorous exercise until 3 or 4 weeks after surgery
  • Pain should be easily managed unless activity level is too high

James Shaw, MD
Wichita Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift not usually painful, implants moderately painful, mini-tummy tuck usually not a difficult recovery

A mini tummy tuck is not typically a very painful procedure.  However, it is limited in effectiveness, just treating the extra skin above the pubic area.  Usually patients are better served with a full tummy tuck, but you might be one of the few that is a candidate for a mini-tummy tuck.  A regular tummy tuck is a fairly painful procedure, but "gets the job done" nicely.

A breast lift is not painful, but implants can be painful, particularly if they are placed under the muscle, which is the usual location.  It is very common to perform both breast and tummy surgery together, and it makes the most of your time off work to do it this way.  Your plan to take off 2 1/2 weeks should be very reasonable for this procedure.  Be sure you are having a vertical lift, because it is preferrable to an inverted-T or periareolar "donut" lift.  Also be sure you look at plenty of before and after pictures from your surgeon to satisfy yourself that your expectations are appropriate. I've attached my website link to breast lift procedures.

Eric Swanson, MD
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon