What is the recommended treatment for an atrophic scar? (photo)

Three weeks ago I accidentally dove into some shallow water of a swimming pool. I had injuries to my forehead and lip but my nose took the worst of the impact. The impact scraped off a significant amount of skin and what appears to be an atrophic or depressed scar has developed with a few slightly raised edges. What is the recommended treatment for this kind of scar?

What is the recommended treatment for an atrophic scar?

This likely will improve with time. As early as 6 weeks post-injury, dermabrasion or laser resurfacing can be performed to smooth and plump that tissue. If that fails, a scar revision would usually be performed between 6-12 months depending upon how the scar is improving with time.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon