How Do You Know Where to Go to Get the Best Plastic Surgery Results for Facial Reconstruction?

After an accident where every bone in the right side of the face was smashed, there is bone missing. The plastic surgeon at home said that it will be fine. We want to make sure that as she gets older, her face doesn't sink in. Any suggestions on where to go? Anywhere?

Doctor Answers 1

Facial reconstruction for pediatric patients

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Depending on your location, there are specialized centers and individuals with sub specialty training in pediatric plastic surgery and craniofacial surgery. Make sure the person seeing your daughter has graduated from a reputable fellowship and is board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. University medical centers are usually a good place to start as well as children's hospitals. There are certainly aspects of facial growth that need to be taken into account, including anticipation of surgery and proper timing to account for growth issues. If there is a substantial amount of bone and/or soft tissue missing, then the deformity may need to be reconstructed sooner than later to avoid any irreversible contraction of the tissues due to scarring. When you do go to the plastic surgeon, be prepared with your CT scan and other medical records in hand.

Beverly Hills Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 4 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.