Are the Any Plastic Surgeons in the New Mexico Area That Repairs Symmastia? (photo)

I've had symmastia for 2 years now, I'm looking to correct it now, because my plastic surgeon told me he may have made the pockets a bit large but I'd have to wait a year and a half to really see if it was true symmastia. The unfortunate thing is, he reitred 8 months after my breast augmentation.

Seek a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Symmastia is a condition which can occur when the implants are too close together. Patients often refer to this as a “uniboob.” Occasionally, the space or pocket for the breast implant is created towards the center, or the tissue stretches, forcing  the implants to fall too much towards the center of the breasts.Correction of this problem may involve using different implants such as textured, a smaller size, or a smaller base and placing the implants in a new pocket. Sometimes, this may require surgery in more than one stage to allow the tissues to heal and then place the implants. If the implants have been placed above the muscle, converting them under the muscle frequently will help and, again, the use of a dermal substitute may be required for additional support if the tissues are thin. The techniques of #capsulorrhaphy and #neopectoral pockets may apply here as well.  

It is imperative you select a plastic surgeon who is #board-certified and has a great deal of experience with breast #augmentation and the incision type, #implant placement, and implant type. Plastic surgeons who have specialized in breast surgery and cosmetic surgery are suitable to perform your breast augmentation. Aside from checking board-certification, it is suggested that you look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients, and read patient reviews. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision

Plastic Surgeons in the New Mexico Area That Repairs Symmastia

The ASPS website is a good starting point for qualified, board certified plastic surgeons. Dr. Aaron Mayberry in Albuquerque may be a possibility. Consult with 3 - 4 experienced and expert board certified plastic surgeons to explore your options.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Symmastia Repair?

It will be up to you to do your due diligence in the process of plastic surgeon selection. I would suggest starting with the American Society of Plastic Surgery and/or the Aesthetic Society of Plastic Surgery to obtain a list of well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons.

Then, I would suggest you visit a few surgeons whose practices can demonstrate significant experience with breast augmentation revisionary surgery. Ask  to see lots of examples of their work and preferably speak/see patients who have had similar procedures done.

Correction of symmastia involves careful planning and intra-operative reinforcement of the medial fold of the breasts. Reconstruction usually involves removal of the breast implants and internal suture reinforcement of the involved area. The use of dyes and needles through the skin surface assists the exact placement of permanent sutures. Usually the breast implant capsule that is redundant is removed to allow for two raw surfaces to heal together, probably lowering the rate of recurrence of the symmastia.

Often, it is necessary to “open” the breast implant pocket laterally (outer breast fold) to allow for positioning of the implant centrally behind the breast mound. This maneuver may also decrease the amount of implant pressure against the medial suture line. Use of a smaller breast implant, if possible, may serve the same purpose.

Again, it will be important for you to have the procedure done by a plastic surgeon with a   significant experience with symmastia corrective surgery.

Repairing Symmastia

Symmastia is a challenging problem where the implants will actually cross the midline disrupting the natural attachment of the skin at the sternum. Fortunately, this problem is one that has seen a number of improvements in techniques over the past few years. This can be treated with manipulations of the breast pocket or with the use of an acellular dermal matrix such as Strattice etc. This is a product that can recreate the cleavage area of the breast with good success and restore proper shape to the breasts. 

You should see a board certified plastic surgeon in your area to get a formal opinion through and in-person consultation. 

Vincent Marin, MD

Vincent P. Marin, MD