What are the best options for neck tightening due to stretch lines under my jaw at the base of my neck? (photo)

I'm 42 years old. I only see this problem getting worse so I'd like to go ahead and address it now. I also have a scar on my chin. Maybe the same treatment would help both?

Neck Rejuvenation Options

Thank you for your question.  Neck Rejuvenation is often used in conjunction with a Concept™ Facelift, in order to provide rejuvenation to the whole area.  Younger patients with tight skin elasticity may be able too just have neither face lift and neck lift, however normally when patients lose skin elasticity facelift and neck lift will be combined to ensure continuity.   Neck Rejuvenation can include tightening the platysma muscle which can be an extra procedure which some patients may need to ensure a tight contour neck.  Tightening of the platysma muscle (also know as platysmaplasty) will require a small incision under the chin away from direct view to gain access to the front edge of the muscle on the neck; they are sutured together with permanent stitches.  The muscles of the neck are the foundations and building blocks of the neck are fundamental to achieving a tight and toned result. Alternatively, some patients may need neck liposuction, for those who have excess fat under the chin.  Overall, to obtain the best results a combination of neck rejuvenation procedure maybe needed.  I perform my facelift and neck lift under local anaesthetic, meaning minimal bruising and swelling is experienced by patients.  This significantly reduces the recovery time experienced, therefore patients being able to return to their daily lives with public view within 5-7 days.  This is why it is important to have a comprohensive consultation with a reputable and qualified plastic surgeon who can assess you properly to give you a realistic idea of what outcome you can achieve.
Best Wishes 

London Plastic Surgeon

Treatment of "stretch bands" (platysma bands) with neck lift

Patients that present “wrinkles” in the angle of the neck (junction of the area under the chin and jaw), present signs of neck aging. This is secondary to loose (platysma) muscle. This clinical finding can be corrected with a neck lift procedure ( e.g. suture suspension G string neck lift). This procedure can be safely done under local anesthesia with minimal discomfort for faster recovery

John Mesa, MD

Improving Early Neck Bands

There are a few options for early banding and for minimal laxity of the neck and area under the chin.

The bands are caused by laxity in the thin neck muscle called the platysma;
      Some people "buy some time" with BOTOX injections into the bands, but results are inconsistent.
      Surgical correction of bands (platysmaplasty) involves tightening the loose bands with stitches placed through an incision in the natural crease just under the chin.

Loose skin can be tightened with minimally invasive procedures, like Thermi-RF: a great tool for tightening early laxity - for people not yet ready for a full necklift or facelift.

Schedule a personal consultation with a Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon to learn what procedure alternatives might best suit your situation.

Paul C. Zwiebel, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Inelastic neck skin and muscle bands

It is difficult to tell from a limited photograph, however the neck bands themselves can be tightened up with a neck lift platysma- plasty procedure, only if the skin tone is adequate. If the skin tone is quite loose and inelastic, then a face/neck lift would be required. For many examples, please see the link below to our neck lift photo gallery

Treatment options for banding in the neck

There are several treatment options for banding in the neck. Botox can, in some cases, be a very effective, but temporary, solution to banding. It is difficult to assess your neck with the one photo you've posted. Depending upon the severity of the banding when your head is in a more neutral position you might be a candidate for a platysmaplasty or necklift procedure to lift and reposition the muscle and soft tissue beneath your chin. Given the location of the chin scar, your best option would typically be laser resurfacing to smooth and blend in the scar tissue. An in person consultation would be very helpful for you as a plastic surgeon could gain a better idea of the exact issues you'd like to address and give much more specific recommendation for what is likely to be of greatest benefit to you. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon