Who Should Do the Operations on Patients Who Need Septoplasty Due to Breathing Difficulties?

Would one find equally qualified septoplasty ENTs as compared to plastic surgeons?

Doctor Answers 3

Surgeons who should perform septoplasty

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

The septoplasty is traditionally done by an ear, nose, and throat (ENT) doctor or a facial plastic surgeon who has had ENT training.  It is important to have the surgery done by a physician who understands the nasal physiology and dynamics of airflow and not somebody who only understands the cosmetic nasal surgery.  Look for a board certified otolaryngologist or facial plastic surgeon to best treat your deviated nasal septum.

Seattle Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 157 reviews

Surgeons Qualified to Do Septoplasty

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Otolaryngologists (ENT surgeons) are the most qualified specialists to both assess and treat nasal breathing difficulties.  We have the most training in dealing with nasal blockage from any cause, and generally are the most experienced in perfoming septoplasty surgery.  Some general plastic surgeons are also expert at septoplasty, but most ENT surgeons are.  

James Bartels, MD
Manchester Facial Plastic Surgeon

Who should perform septoplasty

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

To get a comprehensive overall examination of your nasal breathing function I would suggest visiting with an otolaryngologist (ENT). They have the training to fully assess what could be causing your breathing problems. There are many causes of nasal congestion besides septal deviation. To get the best result you want to make sure you have all the problems addressed.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD
Seattle Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 22 reviews

You might also like...

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.