What is the Best Method for Asymmetrical Breast? (photo)

on my left side I have a 32A and on my right I have a 32 C, I want to go to a full C cup. but I keep getting told that I do not have enough breast tissue to do so? Whats the best way to correct my asymmetry without going through more than 1 procedure?

Symmetry in volume symmetry in shape

Good morning!

You have significant asymmetry in both size as well as shape.  I think great improvements can be made to your volume difference in one operation, but you need to realize that your shape differences will persist.  Over many months as the implant stretches out your left breast tissue, you will have an improvement in the shape, but you may require a second operation in the future to improve symmetry even more.

No surgeon could EVER guarantee ONLY one operation to correct your asymmetry of the breasts. At best 2 operations would be needed. 

One procedure is possible!

While your asymmetry is quite significant and your left breast skin appears tight, an anatomic, textured highly cohesive gel implant can work very well in these circumstances to improve your appearance in or out of clothes.  Your left nipple may enlarge to match the other in size, but the position is high and main remain that way after implants.  Seek out a plastic surgeon with experience in these gel implants and you should be pleased with the outcome. 

Marguerite E. Aitken, MD
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Breast asymmetry can be helped with shaped implants

Thank you for your question and for providing a photo.  In my practice I have found that patient's with breast asymmetry can achieve a good result with shaped silicone breast implants.  Look for a plastic surgeon who has experience using a shaped breast implant.  Good luck.

Tracy Pfeifer, MD, MS

Tracy Pfeifer, MD

Breast asymmetry

An implant under the left breast will give you reasonable symmetry when wearing a bra or bikini (no need for fillers anymore).  However, out of bra the breasts will always look slightly different.  It would be possible to slightly lift the right breast and reduce the size of the areola to make the symmetry better.  I would usually recommend doing this as a second stage 6 months after the left augmentation.

Good luck!

Simon Overstall, MBBS, FRACS
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Breast asymmetry

With the breast aasymmetry you have, you ahve to realize the two will never look the same.  A similar volume may be possible with implants.

Asymmetric Breasts Fixed in One Surgery

Without taking exact measurements and so forth, the best approach for you would be to enhance the left breast first to the size you desire and then modify the right breast accordingly.  This would involve using sizers to match the volume of the right breast to the left.  If you want even more symmetry, you may decide to have your right areola made smaller to match the left...this would leave you with a nearly non-discernable scar around the areola of the right breast while also tightening the breast envelope slightly.  In any case, you can definitely get an excellent result with only one surgery...good luck!

Eric Sadeh, MD

Surgical approach may vary, but much better symmetry can be obtained with one surgery

Surgical approach may vary, but much better symmetry can be obtained with one surgery.  Go to several consults, listen to the approach, and EVALUATE the results of your surgeon;s previous work on assymetry patients.

C cup: yes; single operation: no

Hello Bunny, Breast asymmetry is always a challenge and perfect symmetry post op is rare. However you can achieve a big improvement on your current situation. Your left side has less skin and breast tissue but the breast is designed to expand and shrink with pregnancies so you should be able to accommodate the size of implant needed to fill a C cup - provided the skin/breast envellope is stretched first. This is done with a temporary "balloon" - an expander - and this can be used even where there is missing tissue such as Polands Syndrome. There are even some implants  which allow for limited expansion but I doubt this would be appropriate for you. The difference in nipple height and areolar size will improve but there will still be a difference, and the implanted breast will not fall the way your normal breast does.

So, you should be able to get to a similar volume so I wouldn't worry about being too small to try, but you should anticipate ongoing differences in shape and nipple size and position.

Best wishes

Adrian Knox, MBBS, FRACS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

What is the Best Method for Asymmetric Breast?

Your breasts can be made to have very close symmetry in one procedure.   Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of breast augmentations each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA