What's the Medical Terminology for the Corrective Procedure I Need? (photo)

Over a year ago my left eyelid suddenly became swollen and developed an extra eyelid crease. I would like to know if anyone can tell me what I have and what steps I should take in getting a procedure done. Thanks in advance.

Doctor Answers 9

Droopy eyelid or Ptosis repair in the Asian face

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Morning tunafoxxz,

What you have is a "ptosis" and you'll need that repaired via an external approach to do what's technically called a levator advancement or plication.  I see this frequently in my practice and usually this can be repaired through a relatively small incision and you heal up in about a week.  There two things you need here:

1.  Correction of your eyelid postion.

2.  Potentially you need a small modification to the crease on the left side to get it to match the right.  You have a complex fold there now because the attachments between the levator muscle beneath and the under surface of your skin aren't a uniform line anymore.  You'll want to see someone who specializes in the Asian eyelid.  

Best of luck,

Chase Lay, MD

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 76 reviews

Eyelid asymmetry due to ptosis

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

You definitely have ptosis of the left upper eyelid. There are different techniques to address this problem [internal incision or external incision] and you may or may not need to have the crease addressed specifically.

An evaluation by an oculoplastics surgeon, especially one that has experience with Asian eyelids would be your best option.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 41 reviews

Asian eyelid ptosis and crease asymmetry

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Your eyelids look unequal because the left upper lid is lower due to a lifting muscle of the upper eyelid that is stretched and placed differently. This can occur after an episode of extreme swelling such as you described. The term is ptosis and treatments are available. Seek attention by an oculoplastic surgeon in your area for options and education.

John Pak, MD, PhD
Chicago Oculoplastic Surgeon


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I would need more information to answer your question. It almost looks like you had a plugged gland in your eyelid causing this problem. This is called a chalazion and should be removed first if that is the case. Once you have fully recovered from that you could be assessed for additional surgery.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon

What about my left upper eyelid ? (photo)

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Need more history, good physical exam, and likely, some imaging.  

What pre-dated the change in your eyelid appearance?  Was there any trauma?  Did you have an infection?  Have you gotten Botox or other treatment in the area?  Is your chest X-ray normal?  Any other unusual changes or symptoms you are experiencing?   Is there any growth behind the skin of your left upper eyelid (orbital tumor) or more centrally?  A computed tomographic scan or MRI may be indicated.

Steve Laverson, MD
San Diego Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 47 reviews

You have ptosis.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

More importantly, you have an asian eyelid with ptosis and a complex fold in the left upper eyelid.  Without an actual in person consultation, it is impossible to state precisely what surgery you need to address your issues.  This partially depends on your preferences.   I think great care and caution should be used in approaching your eyelids.  It would be helpful to know for instance precisely what your eyelids looked like before you developed the upper eyelid ptosis.  Preserving upper eye fold is of critical importance.  The eyelid fold and platform exposure on the right side is just about perfect.  Under these circumstances, it might be best to simply perform ptosis surgery to lift the left eyelid margin without removing any skin and then adjusting skin at a later procedure. There are two principle approaches for addressing the upper eyelid ptosis.  One method is called anterior levitator resection ptosis surgery.  This method uses a skin incision to approach the tendon that raises the eyelid margin.  The other method is called a Conjunctival Muellerectomy Ptosis repair, which is done on the back of the eyelid.  Generally this later surgery is more predictable but not every person is right for the surgery.  A test can be performed with eyedrops at the time of consultation to determine if the Muellerectomy is right for you.  Bottom line, you need to find a highly trained specialist who does both ptosis surgery and Asian eyelid surgery.  I think you will find yourself traveling to find such a surgeon.

Kenneth D. Steinsapir, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 26 reviews

Correct eyelid procedure

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

  You need a ptosis repair with upper blepharoplasty of the left upper lid.  It is important to make sure that there is no residual inflammation, which if present should be treated before surgery.  You should see an oculo-facial surgeon.  To find one near you, look at the member directory of ASOPRS.  Good luck!

Lawrence Kass, MD
Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 137 reviews

Drooping eyelid causes and treatment

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

More information is needed to try to determine the exact etiology of your problem and if any asymmetry was present before you developed the swelling of your eyelid.  In other words, did you already have some sagging of the eyelid and the swelling made you more aware of the eyelid position.  You do have ptosis of the eyelid and there are many causes of this.  It can be corrected with upper eyelid surgery and muscle repair if indicated by examination.  

Jeffrey Zwiren, MD
Atlanta Plastic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 20 reviews

It appears that you have eyelid Ptosis (drooping of your eyelid) on the left upper eyelid.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I would recommend that you get a consultation from an occuloplastic surgeon.  If you are bothered by the bagginess of you eyelids as well as the drooping, you may need a blepharoplasty and surgery to repair the drooping as well.

Mark Taylor, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon
4.2 out of 5 stars 18 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.