My eyes are uneven, what treatment would you recommend? (photo)

My eyes have been like this for a long time now but more and more people are noticing it and I'm becoming so self conscious it's making my life miserable ,.... It's really noticing , why is it like this ??

Doctor Answers 6

Upper lid asymmetry

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Upper lid asymmetry
You have a noticeable upper lid asymmetry. There are different causes for that. In your particular case you would need to be evaluated in person, but it appears that you have some hyperactivity of the left frontalis (forehead) muscle in addition to the droop of the right upper eyelid. You could very well require correction of both upper eyelids. Seek out a well experienced eyelids surgeon, and ask all the pertinent questions.

You will need one sided ptosis repair on the right

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
The unenvenness is due to slight drooping on the right side.  First, I'd recommend seeing an eye doctor for a visual field examination.  If this test is positive, you might be able to obtain insurance coverage for the ptosis repair.  Next, see an experienced board-certified plastic surgeon or oculoplastic surgeon who knows about ptosis repair.  If you like, additional blepharoplasty (improvement in both upper eyelids to remove the excess skin) can also be done at the same time.  The unevenness, however, just needs ptosis repair.  You should know that these are nice and simple operations, but 10-15% of patients need touch-ups afterwards, in case unevenness remains.

You actually have bilateral upper eyelid ptosis.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
You are actually lifting both  eyebrows but you are lifting the left eyebrow more than the right.  This probably reflects the fact that you are left eye dominant.  Surgeons do have a bad habit of focusing on the most ptotic side.  If ptosis surgery were performed just on the right side, after surgery the left eyelid would fall and appear to be the heavier eyelid.  For this reason, it is essential to be carefully assessed to determine the need for bilateral upper eyelid ptosis surgery.  I suspect that is what you need.  A personal consultation will resolve this questions.  The upper eyelid ptosis will probably be associated with a fall in the eyebrow position.  I think this will be an aesthetically desirable result because it will make the sub brow area more full which is a feature of a youthful face.  

Kenneth D. Steinsapir, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 26 reviews


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
you have a ptosis of the right upper lid which is why this side looks more closed.  Sometimes people have this for a long time and aren't aware of it.  As we age, it may fall a bit more, and will become more noticeable.  There are surgical options for elevating the eyelid to make it look more like the other side.  Consult with an oculoplastic surgeon who can evaluate the muscle function of your eyelid and determine what surgery would be best for you.   

Eyelid ptosis

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for your picture. You probably have an even eyes because you probably have right upper eyelid ptosis. The body tries to compensate for this by opening the opposite eye wider. I will seek in person consultation from a plastic surgeon or oculoplastic surgeon for evaluation and treatment recommendations.

RIght upper eyelid ptosis

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
As mentioned by others, your droopy right upper eyelid [ptosis] is responsible between for the asymmetry of your eyes.
Below I've shown link of patient with similar asymmetry, though much more severe. Surgical treatment is curative. A consultation with an oculoplastic surgeon would be indicated.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 41 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.