Will the Lumps Bumps and Tightness Go Away?

I'm one month out from a facelift w/ neck lift. I see a small improvement in my chin (from before surgery) but not back closer to my neck. It still looks like my jaw and neck are one (no definition). Not to mention the lumps and bumps in the jaw. I feel very tight from my ears to my jaw bone, but not across my jaw/chin. Please let me know what I can expect?

Will the Lumps Bumps and Tightness Go Away

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I can understand your concern one month following your procedure. However, it may still be too soon to panic. Though recovery from a surgical #necklift varies from person to person, patients are generally presentable within three weeks from surgery. Generally, it will take approximately 7-10 days for the early healing in which many patients feel comfortable being in public at this stage. Most #bruising is low on the neck and may easily be covered by clothing. Also, wearing a #compression garment may be suggested the first week and then nightly for up to six weeks.

The #incision scars from a necklift can typically be hidden well and are not located within eye level to be immediately noticed. These #scars “mature” within six to twelve months from the surgery date. The term mature implies they will soften and fade away. During this time, the rejuvenating effects of the necklift will become most obvious and the neck feels the most normal (ex. little discomfort, soft, normal sensation, no more post-op firmness). Following this stage, the true restorative effects of your necklift result will be apparent. If during your healing, you have any concerns, it is suggested to call your board-certified surgeon or their medical staff and discuss those #concerns.

Will the Lumps Bumps and Tightness Go Away After a Facelift and Necklift?

Dear D,
Thanks for your question. At one month after facial rejuvenation surgery it is not uncommon to see persistent swelling - especially if you had a lot of fatty tissue removed from your neck. You need to return to your surgeon to see if you have a collection of old blood (hematoma) or fluid (seroma) that might be causing this. Usually this swelling and tightness will resolve in time but there may be some therapies such as massage, ultrasound or steroid injections that might speed up the resolution. I hope this helps. Best wishes.

Kevin L. Smith, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Lumps, Bumps and Tightness after Facial Surgery

This question is best discussed with your surgeon. In my practice, our patients routinely see significant improvement after the bandage is removed the next day as well as at 1 week after face and neck lift surgery. If you have fluid or blood (such as a seroma), under the skin, this requires attention.

Amiya Prasad, MD
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon