Who Are the Leading Doctors in the USA for Correcting Issues from Restylane in the Undereye/upper Cheek Area?

How does one find the best doctor for hyaluronidase or other revision or removal options? It seems most doctors that use fillers have not used the dissolver or only done it a few times. Are there experts in this area?

Doctor Answers 5

Who Are the Leading Doctors in the USA for Correcting Issues from Restylane

Always seek a reputable certified physician with much experience injecting Botox/Fillers to ensure a result you wish to achieve. Finding an expert injecting hyalronidase (in my opinion) wouldn't be the best option. 

Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 492 reviews

Best Doctors in USA for Correction of Issues From Restylane or Other Fillers in the Undereye/Upper Cheek Area

Hi HDX,   Yours is a very good question.  The best way to avoid problems with Restylane or other fillers in the under the eye and in the upper cheek area is to make sure that you have chosen your injecting physician most carefully to begin with.  Once there is a issue where the filler needs to be dissolved with hyaluronidase, again, a skilled and experienced injector knows where the filler was injected and can direct hyaluronidase injections in the proper place.  It is tricky to dissolve filler that has been placed by another injector because we don't know what level the filler was placed.  In answer to you question, in the Los Angeles, Southern California area, I would recommend Jonathan Hoenig, MD, Rebecca Fitzgerald, MD, and Robert Goldberg, MD as experts in the correction of injectable filler misadventures.  Good luck and be well.    Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD
Encino Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 36 reviews

Problem with restylane

Find a specialist related to the area that you want treated, rather looking for hyaluronidase experts. For instance, look for an oculoplastic specialist for around the eyes and facial plastic surgeon for other parts of the face.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 72 reviews

Hyaluronidase and Fillers

Actually Hyaluronidase has been used in the US for over 25 years.  There were a few years (2001-2004) when it wasn't available.  Hyaluronidase was used long before hyaluronic fillers were invented.  It was, and still is, used to help spread anesthetic injections.  It should not be difficult finding an experienced injector.  I don't know where you live.  If you contact me and tell me your city, I will do my best to recommend somebody for you.

Marc Cohen, MD
Philadelphia Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 24 reviews

Finding a doctor to fix Restylane

Hyaluronidase (now available to doctors as an injectable and not a compounded pharmacy) is a new-ish product on the market in the U.S., which is used to remove hyaluronic acid fillers. It was used in a different capacity before but was begun being used to remove HA fillers in the past decade or so. However people won't have the same level of expertise with hyaluronidase and fillers. No physician is going to have the same level of expertise with hyaluronidase that they have with fillers, because quite frankly, that wouldn't be a great sign of injection experience. Also as a side note, many physicians don't like to use hyaluronidase or correct the work of other physicians so it's harder to find someone to do that. Your best bet to finding someone is to look on the RealSelf site and see who in your area has hyaluronidase listed in their profile and make calls to see if they can help you.

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."


F. Victor Rueckl, MD
Las Vegas Dermatologist
4.6 out of 5 stars 17 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.