What is the Latest Best Procedure for Fat Transfer to Breast?

I've been researching fat transfer to breast to decide if it's an option for me because I do not want implants and am not looking for a huge increase, but do not want to waste my money with little to no results either. After 2 children I have a glorified A cup to small B cup size breast. I am 5 feet tall and weight 125 so there should be plenty of fat for the transfer :/ Doctors have many different ways of performing this procedure and I want to know which works best with the best results.

The surgeon and experience is very important

I have done most numbers of fat grafting to the breast in u.s. and there are some limitations to fat grafting. The main issue is the quality of your breast tissue and your available fat for transfer. The harvesting technique,processing and injection techniques are all important. I have done more than 270 cases of fat grafting and majority of them are for implant failure patients.You can get more infirmation at my web site or our at grafting meeting web site fatgraftforum.com.The device Brava is indicated in certain conditions but in my experience is not the key factor. 

New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation using your own fat -

Fat Transfer Breast Augmentation Explained - Best Procedure and details 
The short answer is that if you want to be just a half cup size bigger in a single operation and have substantial fat available for harvesting and you accept that the results are vary in the best of hands you may be a good candidate.
However most young women of your age want to be one or two cup sizes larger. There is no doubt that using a breast implant is predictable and the best chance to achieve your goals.
In case you want to know some more about breast implants using your own fat here is some information. In my practice I mainly use it in women undergoing lifts with atrophy on the upper part of their breasts and refuse implants.
An alternative to breast implants is fat transfer also known as fat grafting or lipoinjection. This technique allows women the option of enhancing the appearance of their breasts without the potential problems of saline or silicone implants such as hardness, rippling or rupture.
Who is a candidate?
Any woman who is healthy
Women with sufficient body fat for the procedure
Women considering breast augmentation who wish to be one cup size larger or less
Women who have had breast augmentation or reconstruction but who lack fullness or have contour concerns. Fat transfer can further enhance and reshape your breasts while smoothing out visible or palpable edges of breast implants. This will disguise implant rippling and wrinkling.
Women with normal mammography
Dr. Nichter has successfully transplanted fat into the face, buttocks and other body areas for decades and are now using this same technology to enhance breast shape and size. Plastic surgeons have been transplanting fat to the breast since 1995 but caution and study were necessary to make sure there were not harmful effects. Furthermore, results in the past were variable, dependent on surgical equipment, technique, surgeon’s skill, and individual patients healing abilities.
Since 1995, recent advances have led to the development of special instruments made just for fat grafting.Though this procedure is still considered investigational to a degree, more and more qualified plastic surgeons are using this technique successfully.   The advantage of this technique is its ability to create a natural augmentation without an implant. Fat grafting (also called lipoinjection or fat transfer) to the breasts is indicated for different reasons: as an alternative to implants for mild to moderate breast augmentations, to provide fullness to the upper part of the breast during a breast lift, after pregnancy, age, or weight loss, following breast reconstruction, or to minimize the visibility or rippling of existing breast implants. Typically up to one breast size enlargement is possible in most patients. Fat transfer to the breast is usually done as a single procedure resulting in approximately half a cup volume increase. In women desiring additional breast enhancement a subsequent procedure can be performed. Each surgery consists of two components:
Harvesting the fat: Fat is removed from your abdomen, hips, “love handles” or other areas using a fine cannula similar to the one used for liposuction but skinnier. This fat is rinsed with sterile saline solution and then packaged into syringes and prepared for transfer. Approximately 20% of fat removed is suitable and available for fat grafting.
Fat transfer into the breasts: The prepared fat is injected in small amounts at a time and widely distributed within the layers of the breast so that these living fat cells can pick up a healthy new blood supply.
Advantages of Fat Transfer to the breasts:
Fat cells are natural and you are using your own tissue without any foreign body or implant.
Harvesting of the fat by liposuction has the added benefit to enhance your shape by removing unwanted fatty deposits
The breast can be shaped or sculpted in more detail than is possible using implants alone.
Minimal incisions reduce the possibility and degree of scarring
No implant is used, therefore there is never a need for replacement, or any potential for capsular contracture (hardening of the implant).
Fast Recovery Time: Recovery time is about 1 week and usually less uncomfortable from implants that are placed beneath the muscle.
Although, breast augmentation performed with the lipoinjection technique takes longer than traditional breast augmentation (with implants) the benefits are substantial including no need for implant replacement in the future.
In the past, significant questions were raised about the ability of Mammograms or MRI to detect breast cancer after injecting fat into the breast. However, there is no evidence that fat transfer to the breast is less safe than any breast surgery. Large studies have begun over the last several years to study fat grafting to the breast. With or without breast surgery, calcifications and lumps can occur. Breast diagnostic studies including physical examination and mammograms should be used to monitor every patient diligently using standard guidelines.

Common Risks, side effects and complications include infection, bleeding, fat embolism and graft volume loss; over filling, under filling, asymmetry, fat necrosis, and ectopic calcification among others. Although, there are risks and complications associated with autologous fat grafting, cases of severe complications and death appear to be extremely rare.

Concern regarding the interference of autologous fat grafts with breast cancer detection is not validated by the limited number of studies available on the topic but it appears that radiologists in general can differentiate artifacts from fat transfer and malignancies. However, caution should be used  in patients at high-risk for breast cancer including a positive BRCA-1, BRCA-2 and/or personal or familial history of breast cancer.

Results of fat transfer remain dependent on a surgeon’s technique and expertise, therefore make sure your surgeon is board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

Fat Transfer to Breast

While some surgeons are utlizing a patient's own fat (similar to a Brazilian Butt Lift), the results are mixed.  Be cautious before you proceed with this procedure. Consult with 2 - 3 experienced and expert board certified plastic surgeons in your area before proceeding.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Fat transfer for large breasts

For small breasts it works well . For large breasts it entails many grafting procedures and liposuctions over a long period. It can be done but it is an expensive an long tterm commitment Think it over.

Richard Ellenbogen, MD

Fat transfer to breasts

Think long and hard before you embark on that technique for breast augmentation. Being an A cup or small B that you are, most of my patients will consider it unworthy operation to increase it by the amount that fat transfer will do. More over , you might need multiple injection procedures to get the size that will make you happy, because big part of the fat disappear with time. Your best bet is to find an experienced board certified plastic surgeon that will use the right size implants to make you happy.

Dr Widder

You can increase your breast size by injecting fat

One procedure that is relatively new and gaining popularity is breast augmentation using your own fat. Similar to the more well known Brazilian butt lift procedure, we can take fat from somewhere on your body through liposuction and then re-inject that fat into the breast. This can successfully increase your breast size permanantly without the need for an articficial implant. There is also the other added benefit of the liposuction!  While this can work well, there are many different ways to do it - the techniques for harvesting, processing, and injecting the fat vary greatly among plastic surgeons.  It also requires that the skin of your breasts is loose enough to be able to hold the new fat. This is why it works best in women who have "deflated" after pregnancy or weight changes, as opposed to the young woman who has veyr small beasts with tight skin.  Make sure to choose a surgeon who is specifically familiar with this technique because the majority of plastic surgeons still do not do this procedure.

Fat Breast Augmentation

As in planting, the success of the garden depends on MORE than the gardner. It depends on the soil, the quality and viability of the plants planted, the fertilizer used and the frequency and quality of watering. Similar concepts apply with Fat Transfer Breast Augmentation.

The breasts must be prepared to provide a much more hospitable enviroment for the transferred fat. This is done by wearing a suction device called the Brava which uses suction both to increase breast size by close to a cup but also and more importantly, it increases the concentration and amount of blood vessels in the breast tissues allowing more of the transferred fat to stay alive and persist. Further important details reside with using a lower liposuction vacuum force to limit fat cell injury and trasferring mostly viable fat cells, instead of all the liposuctioned aspirate, into small breast tunnels to increase symmetry and fat survival.

Good Luck from Memphis,

Peter A Aldea, MD

Fat injection into the breast

Some surgeons are injecting fat into the breast for augmentation.  It is certainly surgeon dependent.

Breast Augmentation with Fat Transfer Works, But There are Details

Dear catlady76-

Thanks for the great question!

Fat Transfer to the Breast, for a breast augmentation, is possible, but does have some requirements, including

-  you actually have some fat on your body to remove, process, and do the fat transfer

-  you have to wear the Brava device before and after your fat transfer surgery

-  YMMV/ your mileage may vary regarding overall end result, due to your body's tendency to absorb fat after surgery

There are other considerations as well, so talk to a local plastic surgeon and have a consultation.

Best Wishes,

Roy Kim

Roy Kim, MD

Fat Transfer to the Breast

The only technique that has proven long term results is for the patient to wear the Brava System (you can google it) for several weeks and then the fat graft which may get you 1/2 to 1 cup size increase. That is if you have enough fat elsewhere for the graft.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD