How does the laser peel affect age spots on the face?

I'm considering a laser peel for the "smoker's lines" on the upper lip (no longer smoke), but the lines really bother me and make me look older than I am. I'm 45 and also have brown age spots on my cheeks. I'm worried that the laser peel will darken those spots.

Thanks for your query. Laser peel will work on the brown spots and lighten it more. Hope it helps.

All The Best

India Plastic Surgeon

Lasers spots, and wrinkles

For smokers lines a deep laser peel is needed, or a series of fractional lasers and or energy devices such as RF micro needling. See the video below for an explanation. All the best, Dr Davin S. Lim

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

Laser peels and skin prep

If you are prone to developing dark spots, you may consider prepping your skin with Melarase creams before your laser peel. This will help prevent skin discoloration and skin dyspigmentation. 

Dr. Karamanoukian 
Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Smoker's lines and photodamage

The treatment depends on your skin phototype.  By that I mean your skin is white tone, then you will benefit from photofacials using 532 nm lasers like Excell V for the dark and red spots that will fade after a combination double passes of the laser to the whole face.  For the perioral wrinkles you need fractionated ablative laser like Fractionated pearl at high energy.  If you skin tone is darker it depends how dark it is and photofacials might benefit you and fractionated laser needs to done at less energy.

Maritza Perez, MD
New Canaan Dermatologic Surgeon