Where Are the Incisions Placed for a Mommy Makeover Tummy Tuck Procedure?

Where would the scars be noticeable after the body has fully healed from a tummy tuck?

Hiding the scars from a mommy makeover tummy tuck

A well-done tummy tuck (abdominoplasty) leaves a bikini line scar that could be covered by a swimsuit, in addition to a scar around the belly button (umbilicus.) For that reason one of the signatures of a good tummy tuck is the umbi scar since it could be exposed in a two-piece swimsuit. Another factor that I personally believe is important is using progressive tension sutures, which are internal stitches that help to shape the abdomen (for example a subtle groove in the midline above the umbi) and help to keep the scar low. At the same time, the PTS method reduces tension on the edges of the skin where they are sewn together so the scar is less noticeable.

Scars

It depends on the type of tummy tuck you'll be getting. Most women addressing issues following pregnancy tend to have a full tummy tuck. The resulting scars include a horizontal one from hip bone to hip bone in the lower pelvis/above pubic bone, and one around the belly button. Another vertical scar extending from the belly button downward may also exist, but isn't common.

A bathing suit will hide the scars. 
A properly healed scar will look like a thin line that's a little whitish. 

Ronald Levine, MD

Scars from tummy tuck

It depends on the type of tummy tuck you'll receive. The incision is below the belly button, running from hip to hip. Generally speaking, it should be a few centimetres below the belly button. The length of the incision varies by a few centimetres. The more extensive the surgery, the longer the incision. Another incision may be around the belly button, but this is well hidden.

Most women find that their scar is covered up by a bathing suit and underwear. However, you can always bring in a pair of underwear to your consultation so your surgeon gets a better idea of where to place the incision. 

Scars for a tummy tuck during mommy makeover - Los Angeles

I would place most tummy tuck scars below a c section line. My preferred procedure is a bikini tummy tuck. Raffy Karamanoukian Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Where Will My Scars Be After An Abdominoplasty?

Tummy tuck or abdominoplasty scars are around the belly button (umbilicus) and in the bikini line of the lower abdomen.  The quality of these scars depends on surgical technique, the individual's genetics, and uncontrolled variables such as minor infections in the suture line which can increase scarring. 

The way to decrease the scar around the umbilicus is to first, anchor the umbilical stalk down to the muscle covering (faschia).  The opening of the incision for the umbilicus should not be overly large, and the sutures that hold the umbilicus to the abdominal skin should be below the surface and never cross the suture line as this leads to excess scarring.  Significant removal of fat around the abdominal incision for the umbilicus is necessary to allow the skin to turn downward to the old belly button edge, therefore keeping the scar deep inside the new umbilical wall. 

Second, the abdominal incision should start at least 1/2" - 1" below the top of the pubic hair to decrease upward migration of the abdominoplasty wound closure.  The incision should be kept low with deep anchor sutures which will also pull up the vulva and the anterior inner thighs.  Multiple layer wound closure in the abdominoplasty incision will take tension off the suture line itself, therefore giving a thinner scar. 

Finally, surgery doesn't end at surgery.  It ends when the abdominoplasty wound or scar is the best the patient can hope for ,based on their genetics.  I tape all abdominoplasty incisions for 3 months after surgery to minimize any negative consequences of the wound healing process. 

Scars from a Tummy Tuck

A tummy tuck is a type of contouring procedure, hence the following principle applies: you must accept some degree of scar for the better form. The good news is that a skilled plastic surgeon can place your scar low in your bikini-line/waist line. After 8-12 months of healing and scar massage therapies, your scar will fade where it will barely be noticeable.  Please visit with a board certified plastic surgeon to learn more about your options.

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

Tummy tuck incision location

The tummy tuck incision is placed as low as possible on the front of the abdomen within the bikini line so it's covered by most clothing.  There's also a circular scar around the belly button which is usually well hidden once it heals.  It's important to keep all your follow up appointments with your board certified plastic surgeon so they can help treat your scars and make them fade as much as possible.

I hope that helps and wish you all the best!

Healing after a mommy me makeover. best scars

Ideally the incisions are placed very low in the bikini area.  the umbilical area needs to be sculpted and created to pull the skin inward.  scars are always permanent but can be made better by post op care with scar products. tape,  silicone , laser..

Incision for a mommy makeover tummy tuck

One of the goals of getting a tummy tuck would be to be able to wear a two piece bikini and have a great looking abdomen without visible scars or other signs of surgery.  To accomplish this the final incision position should be just above the pubic bone within the borders of the bikini bottoms/underwear.  The belly button should also look naturally rejuvenated with a well hidden incision.   To accomplish this the incision for the belly button should be hidden on the inside of the belly button.

Dr Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Incision for tummy tuck is hidden in bikini line

I generally have patients wear underwear or swimwear when I perform their markings for a tummy tuck. This way, I can place the incision within the boundary of their underwear or swimwear. It is quite low and not visible with traditional underwear. Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon for an examination and review of the location of a tummy tuck scar.

Dr.Brunoh

William Bruno, MD