During the first few days post op will I be able to take care of my two children? And how long does a full recovery take?

I am looking into breast augmentation and would like to do it during Christmas break so I don't need to take extra time off from work. I will most likely be doing an over the muscle B or small C cup size. I do not want people noticing so I won't be going very large at all.

Recovery after Breast Augmentation Surgery

The usual full recovery time for breast augmentation surgery is 4-6 weeks whether you have the implants placed under the muscle or over the muscle. Normal activities such as walking, driving, working, etc. can be resumed as long as you are no longer on narcotic pain medication during the day (typically 2-3 weeks). However, lifting over 10 lbs should be avoided, as well as any strenuous or aerobic activity. Caring for children is not an issue for most women as long as you are careful.

Breast Augmentation Post Op Recovery

Pain varies per person and medication to control #discomfort will be provided. Healing will continue for 2-3 months for the early period. This includes some swelling, bruising, malposition, color differences. Sensation may also be abnormal and scars will be evolve. Tingling, burning or shooting pains will disappear with time and should not alarm you. It is simply a result of the regeneration of your sensory nerves. If these sensations cause pain, repeated, local self-massage per your surgeon's permission may help.

As I advise my patients, you make take gentle walks within a few days following your #surgery. Light #activity may be started 7-10 days after surgery. If your work keeps you sedentary, you may return whenever you feel up to it. If your work is strenuous, wait until your work activity does not cause any superficial pain. Some employers will modify a person’s job duties so they can back sooner, but without physical, strenuous activity for a specified period of time. Do not begin light aerobic #exercise for 3 weeks and strenuous exercise for at least 6 weeks. Let your body tell you what it can tolerate. It is always recommended to call and see your surgeon to discuss your healing concerns.

As for heavy lifting and other #strenuous #activities, it should be avoided for six weeks following your #BreastSurgery. You may, however, do normal activities at any time if they cause no pain or #discomfort. Let your body tell you what you can or cannot do. Aerobic exercise will raise your blood pressure, which could cause late bleeding and harm your result. Once you begin exercising again, start gently and let your body tell you what it can tolerate. Don’t rush!! It may require the full 6 weeks before you can do any upper body work-outs, yoga, etc.
If you have concerns about your healing, or pain that you question to be unusual, it is important to call your plastic surgeon to discuss these further asked to be examined.

Taking care of children post breast augmentation

Typically, it will be a couple of days before you can hug or hold your child if her or she is placed on your lap. It will be weeks before you can lift the child on your own. Consult with your surgeon in more detail as he or she will know more about the scope of the surgery.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Taking Care of Kids After Breast Implants

How old are your children? If they are still quite young and need to be picked up or held, you'll most likely not be able to do this until about 2 weeks after your surgery. After 2 weeks, you can bring one child in close, up to your chest, and lift them with a knee bend, rather than reaching out. This is to prevent compromising your recovery. However, if they are old enough to take care of themselves for the most part, then you'll probably be okay. Please keep in mind that you will most likely be feeling "out of it" for a couple of days, so you may not be able to keep a watchful eye on your children as you'll need to rest. You should have some help, as you'll most likely need it to perform activities like cooking or cleaning (and maybe bathing as well).
The rate of your recovery depends on how closely you follow your surgeon's post operative instructions and your body. In general, the majority of any swelling, bruising and discomfort subsides after about 2 weeks. After 3-4 months, your breasts and implants will have settled, and this is when you'll be able to see your results fully if your recovery was unproblematic. 

BBA

It is best if someone helps you. I tell my patient to avoid any heavy lifting especially for the first 2 weeks after surgery. Lifting your kids will be an issue. I usually suggest patients take at least a week off from work. Taking care of 2 kids is a full-time job.

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)

Time off after breast augmentation

I usually have patients take 3-5 days off after breast augmentation. You will need some help with the kids during this time. I also don't recommend lifitng more than 20 lbs for the first few weeks so you will need help with the kid gear for while too

Breast Augmentation Recovery?

You should have some help at home for your initial post-operative period. I generally recommend no exercise or lifting greater than ten pounds for 3 weeks after surgery. Most patients can return to work, as long as it does not involve strenuous activity after 1 week.

I would suggest that you discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon who should certified by the American Board of American Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS). It is important to follow all of his or her instructions.

Robert Singer, M.D. FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Breast aug recovery

I would plan on needing help around the house for 3-5 days and taking at least 7 days out of work depending on what you do for a living. best of luck.

Post of BA and recovery time.

Hello and thank you for your question.

I tell my patients that they can't lift their young children for about 4 weeks. That's how long it takes to heal. In addition, I caution that they not get too close to their children either as it would be potentially detrimental to have a young child hit the breast during the healing stages. I know this can be difficult but patients who are very motivated to have the procedure are usually able to get the help they need either with a family member or nanny. I would recommend that you have a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon so that he/she may answer all of your questions for you.

Best of luck to you.

Breast augment recovery

I recommend that my patients take a week off from work for breast augmentation. If you have toddlers or infants, you should not lift them during the first week or two; if your children are older, then this should not be an issue. I frequently recommend to patients that they have surgery when the children are in school all day and they can rest and recuperate, rather than dealing with their needs but understand your desire to combine the holiday week with surgery. The over the muscle operation has a shorter recuperation, with less pain, than going under the muscle so you should be in good shape to enjoy the holiday!