What is the best way to get curvy hips for an athletic 21 year old female with square hips? (photos)

Hi, I am a 21 year old student. I'm very athletic and fairly muscular. I work out and exercise 6 days a week. I have very square hips, no curves at all. I want to have curvy hips. I don't care if they're wide (preferably not wide) or slim, I just want to have a curve. I can't do fat grafting because my lifestyle will not allow me to gain weight. I also want a more permanent solution because with the way I eat and exercise, I will lose the fat. What is the best and safest option for me?

What is the best way to get curvy hips for an athletic 21 year old female with square hips?

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. This is the surgical procedure that revolutionized cosmetic surgery becoming one of the most performed cosmetic procedures. Subcutaneous tissue or fat is removed in order to contour the body in a way that is harmonious and pleasing to the senses. It can be performed in almost all regions of the body such as the neck, chin, abdomen, back, buttocks, thighs, arms and ankles. Usually done through a small incision in the skin through which a cannula connected to a vacuum is applied, it can be performed alone or in combination with other procedures. After liposuction your body is going to be really swollen for at least 2 to 4 months after your surgery. It is important for you to wear your compression garment for at least 6 months, the first 3 months 24/7 and then the last 3 months at least 12 hours per day for your body get use to not having the faja for so many time. When you remove it, your body can get swollen and also you can have pain. Remember to also compress your body to prevent a seroma which is an accumulation of liquid that has to be drained, it is hard to touch and also really painful. Bruises are completely normal for almost 3 months from surgery, that’s why is better for you to use a bruising cream and apply it all over your body 3 times a day. To prevent bad circulation and swollen legs, use compression socks. Brazilian butt lift can be performed with the same procedure and for a month it will be swollen and it will drop a little bit without losing it’s shape if you use your garment.. If you’re going to perform liposuction on your inner, outer, anterior, lateral, postetior thighs, be careful and consult with your surgeon what’s best for you, sometimes we have more extra skin than fat, that can cause severe sagginess on our legs, which can be only be reversed performing a thigh lift…

Liposuction for the abdomen and waist and consider a Brazilian butt lift

Consider liposuction the procedure for your upper and lower abdomen, lower back, waist and upper part of your hips. Consider fat transfer as the procedure for your buttocks, also known as a Brazilian butt lift.

When I look at the female body, I try to envision a smooth, even, continuous S-curve. Any part of the curve that sticks out, I consider liposuction. Any areas where it doesn't project enough, I consider adding fat.

Mats Hagstrom, M.D.

Mats Hagstrom, MD

I liposuction thin models, fitness competitors, and bodybuilders every week.  You have enough fat to transfer to the hips.  I would search for the surgeon who you feel is most likely to give you the best results. Look at reviews and before and after pictures on that surgeon's website.

Liposuction candidate

Based on these photographs you appear to be an excellent candidate for liposuction.  The skin should respond nicely and you can sculpt the areas of concern.

Hi. You look great but have made an accurate assessment. I would suggest that you consider a liposculpture with a fat transfer to augment the area just below your hips and give you a better defined an shapely buttocks. In the photo taken from the back, it's obvious that you have an indent from the hip to the beginning of the top of the buttock. Although it seems that you have little fat, it is possible to remove and shape the waist and hip areas and transfer that fat to the buttock region.

The key is............ does the surgeon have a keen sense of aesthetics? Can he/she create a shapely, attractive buttock or are they just technicians that wind up with large unshapely behinds? The same holds true for the liposuction portion of the procedure. Understand that liposuction whether SAL, PAL or UAL ( not including LAL because the fat obtained through this technique will not be useful) is not that technically challenging. However, the keen aesthetic eye will determine the eventual work of art.

Always seek out the opinion of a surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery with years of experience in liposuction and fat transfers. Furthermore request to see before and after photos of previous patients by that doctor....not a clinic or surgery center. Do your homework......research and verify the doctor's credentials. Have they had problems with the Board of Medicine, disciplinary or otherwise. Any law suits?

How about the center, clinic or facility? Are they accredited by a national organization or do they just have State approval. Understand that at the current time, there are three nationally recognized organizations responsible for the highest levels of patient safety, AAAASF, AAACH and JCHO. You owe it to yourself to position yourself for the best possible results but under the most stringent safety regulations, If you have kids, even more so.

How about anesthesia? Will you have a medical doctor certified by the American Board of Anesthesiology or a certified nurse anesthetist (CRNA)? Understand that there is no substitute for research. Cosmetic surgery, no matter how simple it may be to the patients, are invasive procedures and as such carry certain risks and complications.

In our office we use TouchMD which is a web based program in which patients have the ability to load their picture unto the program. We accomodate patinets from as far away as California. I then evaluate them and can actually draw on the picture to show a potential patient where the incisions would be located and how the procedure is to be realized. It's all done to comply with HIPPA which is the federal law that protects the patient's medical information. Look them up.

Give yourself the highest percentage of a sucssesful operation. Good luck

Looks like there is no answer except fat grafts in my opinion. I would avoid these silicone hip implants.... 

Hip augmentation options

Allow me to share with you some information that you may not hear elsewhere. There are only two proven safe and relatively effective methods for Buttock Augmentation and Hip Augmentation: 1) Autologous Fat Transfer (using your own fat, transferring from one area of the body to the other) and 2) Buttock/Hip Implants (semi-solid silicone rubber implants that cannot rupture &/or leak). Both are very good options so what it comes down to, like any surgery, is proper patient selection.

Indeed because at least 50+ % of the fat transferred will melt away within a year, most patients are not good candidates because they lack an adequate amount of fat to harvest. Another tip is that if you purposely gain weight (i.e. fat) for the procedure, the fat you lose first as you get back to your baseline weight is that very same fat that was transferred into your buttock...so don't fall victim to this recommendation.  Although using your own fat is relatively safe, the one serious complication that can rarely (< 1%) happen is "fat embolism" in which some of the fat gets into the blood stream and travels up into the lungs, heart, and/or brain causing serious problems. This complication is more likely to happen with the larger amount of fat being transferred. This is even more likely to happen when using fillers like PMMA and hyaluronic acids. Also fillers, when injected in large quantities, have a relatively high tendency to migrate away from the original area they were placed and tend to stimulate a lot of inflammation and a subsequent disastrous amount of scar tissue/hardening.

Thus buttock/hip implants become a very good, safe, and long term reliable option for most patients seeking buttock augmentation (at least in my practice). I prefer to insert the buttock implants through a 2 inch long incision over the tailbone (concealed within the crevice between the buttock cheeks) and the hip implants through a ~ 1 inch incision just below the beltline above the hip region. The buttock implant should always be placed under or within the gluteus maximus muscle. In this position, the implant is less palpable, less visible, and does not sag or shift/migrate over time unlike implants placed on top of the muscle. Therefore it is extremely important to seek consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in these procedure (in fact both implants and fat transfer so that s/he is not bias). And in this case too, at least in my surgical practice, the infection rate is minimized to ~5%. Glad to help.

Depending upon the amount of your current fat reserves and their distribution, you may or may not be a reasonable candidate for fat transfer.  If you are wanting to utilize the fat to further augment your buttock in addition to implants, then I caution you against this.  The reason being that the fat needs to be placed into the buttock muscles for optimal survival, however, this is exactly where the implant needs to reside and thus risks infection and/or death of the fat.  Because of this risk, I frequently avoid fat grafting into a buttock that has an implant.  Bottom line, I recommend consulting with a board certified plastic surgeon specialist in buttock augmentation (BOTH implants and fat transfer) to determine what option is best for you.  Glad to help. 

Ryan Stanton, MD

Changing the figure

Unfortunately, there is not a lot that can be done for you. You do not look like you have any body fat. Your curves are your curves at this point. If you want a larger buttock,then buttock implants may be all that is available. Sorry.

Improvement of the hips

Thank you for your pictures. I agree with Dr. Wallach – no option for you. You 
With a barrow pelvis and  athletic build that you have to maintained and no fat. Fat grafting would be the only option to improve the curvature of your hips. There are no implants or other procedures that can do increase the curvature of your hips.