What is the best compression garment to wear after a tummy tuck?

I had a tummy tuck 3 1/2 weeks ago! My doctor is having me wear spanx which I like cause they are comfortable and I can get a size bigger too! I see many other girls whose doctors are having them wear compression garments! My question are they helping to illuminate swelling! Do they aid in the final result of your surgery! If so,, what brands do you recommend!

Best Compression Garment to wear

The first garment should be fitted for you in the office prior to surgery and applied in the operating room. Often it will become loose as the edema is mobilized, and then it will need to be replaced. Spanx is a reasonable compression garment if it gives enough support and is the right size. I have my patents bring them in so I can confirm that it fits well.
Most important advice is to listen to your surgeon, as he or she knows how much fat was removed, the elasticity that remains in your skin, and amount of skin redundancy.
I recommend that my patients wear their garments for a minimum of three weeks full timethen for twelve hours at a time (day or night). If there is not a lot of redundant skin, this continues to a maximum of six weeks.
To be effective, the garment needs to fit snugly—but not too tight as that can make it difficult to sleep or cause pressure problems (inspect your skin when it is exposed if you are uncomfortable). As the edema resolves it is common for patients to switch to a smaller garment that fits. A Spanx-type garment would work fine, rather than ordering one or paying more at your doctor’s office.

Compression Garment After Surgery #tummytuck

There are so many on the market. I like either a standard abdominal binder or a garment that is designed for tummy tuck surgery. Marena or Veronique are both good brands. You can look them up online.

Richard J. Brown, MD

Compression Garments

Thank you for your question. A personal exam and consultation is always best.

That said I usually have my patients wear compression garments for approximately 2 weeks post op. After that period, the garments are not necessary. There are many manufacturers of compression garments. I have used Veronique and Contemporary Design. I would recommend contacting your surgeon and ask why he is still recommending that you wear a garment after three weeks post op.

Be sure to consult a plastic surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, experienced in your procedure, and who has an excellent reputation in your community.

Compression garments for tummy tuck

Now that you are almost a month out from surgery, you probably don't need a compression garment anymore. I don't think that there is any great scientific evidence that the compression garments really make that much of an improvement on the final result of the surgery. They might improve the amount of swelling that you have in the first few weeks. But that is probably about all. I give my patients a Velcro binder made by Caromed, but there are lots of manufacturers that make good compression garments. Most of my patients like the binder because it gives them a feeling of stability and security (i.e. feels less uncomfortable is they have to cough or sneeze). But I only make them wear it for the first 2 weeks. After that, they can wear it only if it makes them feel more comfortable.

Wm. Todd Stoeckel, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon