What is the Best Chemical Peel for Acne Scars and Hyperpigmentaion?

I have some pinkish hyperpigmentation left over from acne and want it gone asap. I also have 3-4 acne scars which are really small and seem to be just on the surface. Would a chemical peel help get rid of those scars and hyperpigmentation? Which chemical peel should I use. Glycolic, Lactic, TCA, etc...

Doctor Answers 6

Chemical Peel For Scarring & Hyperpigmentation

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I agree with the other doctors, without seeing pictures it is impossible to look and pinpoint what would be your best option for your skin exactly. This is because it depends on many factors including skin tone, sensitivity, if you have still have acne, etc. That being said, there are many different options to eliminate scarring and hyperpigmentation which includes chemical peels, however, treatments such as the CO2 laser can work wonders on both acne scarring and hyperpigmentation as well. I would advise you to see a board certified facial plastic surgeon or dermatologist who can evaluate your skin and decide what would be the best option for you and your skin specifically. “Dr. D”

Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 127 reviews

Chemical peels for acne scars

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

It is difficult to answer this question without seeing your pictures. Chemical peels for acne scars can be used for very superficial scars but there are many other options for acne scars such as laser treatment, minimally invasive surgical procedures and more. Chemical peeling for deeper acne scars and hyperpigmentation isn't as common. For redness or pinkish hyperpigmentation if it's a prominent patch of blood vessels causing lasers such as IPL or V beam are good option.  I would seek the opinion of a board certified doctor before making a final decision. 


Best of luck,

Sachin Parikh MD 

Sachin S. Parikh, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chemical peels for acne and acne scars.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

While chemical peels can be very helpful for acne and perhaps very superficial acne scars, it is generally not necessarily the best approach. It would be best to see a board-certified dermatologist who can assess what options would be best for you.

Ritu Saini, MD - Account Suspended
New York Dermatologic Surgeon

Best treatment options for acne scars and hyperpigmentation

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Without seeing a photograph it is difficult to advise you.  You should be evaluated to determine if you in fact have just scars and hyperpigmentation but also active acne.  There are any different treatment options, in addition to chemical peels.  There best choices will be based on your evaluation.  Consult a board-certified dermatologist for advice. Good luck!

Dina D. Strachan, MD
New York Dermatologist

Best Treatments for Acne Scars and Hyperpigmentation

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Chemical peeling isn't necessarily the best option for correcting acne scars and/or hyperpigmentation or discoloration from prior acne.  There are different treatment options which can improve these concerns. There is no way to give good advice without at least good photographs. An office consultation would obviously be more helpful. Find yourself a board-certified dermatologist experienced in treating acne and acne scars and get evaluated properly.

Channing R. Barnett, MD
Boca Raton Dermatologist
4.1 out of 5 stars 8 reviews

Acne Scars

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

For red acne scars, the V Beam Perfecta laser is a very good choice.  If you post pictures or come in for a consultation, we can give you more specific advice.


Good Luck.

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.