How Can I Get the Area Under my Chin and Neck Tighter? (photo)

I am 33 years old and I would like the area under my chin to be tighter and a more defined jaw line. The bottom part of my face seems too pudgy and round and I'm not sure if I could benefit from upper lip enhacement or something else to make my mouth look more attractive. What options would be appropriate for me?

Getting the Area Under the Chin & Neck Tighter

It's best to begin by consulting with a surgeon in-person. In some cases your plastic surgeon may give you more than one option to choose from. A neck lift is a general term used for rejuvenating the neckline to create a more youthful attractive appearance. There are various surgical techniques for a neck lift which will be discussed during your consultation. Also, additional procedures may be suggested to complement the neck lift for optimal results.
A neck lift is a general term used for rejuvenating the neckline to create a more youthful attractive appearance. There are various surgical techniques for a neck lift which will be discussed during your consultation. Also, additional procedures may be suggested to complement the neck lift for optimal results.
The factors which are considered to first determine if you are a #candidate for #rejuvenating the neck include:
•Visibility and amount of excess fat below the chin and along the neckline.
•The presence of banding down the front of the #neck.
•The amount of #excess skin and condition of your skin.
•Chin Deficiency.
•Presence of Prominent Digastric Muscles (a.k.a. submandibular gland fullness)

During the examination the chin will be evaluated along with the neck and jawline.  A weak #chin means there is not adequate chin support for the skin along the neck line. In younger individuals a chin #implant alone is usually all that is needed to improve the appearance of the neck. Subsequently, it will also improve the overall balance of the face and can create the illusion of a smaller nose. As a stand-alone procedure, chin augmentation can be performed in the office under local anesthesia. For individuals with signs of aging in the neck, a chin implant added to one of the recommended procedures above, will provide optimal results.
If you are not a candidate at the time of your #consultation, your board certified plastic surgeon can recommend alternatives to improve your concern. Consulting with a board-certified plastic surgeon who specializes in #neck lift procedures is important to ensure you are receiving the best advice, care, and surgical experience possible.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

•Chin Deficiency.

Defined jaw line and neck tighter

At your age the skin is elastic and refining the neck with liposuction should accomplish most of your goals. It would be important to palpate the neck also and determine if it is just fatty tissue or muscle or hyoid bone.  Sometimes a small incision with some direct fat sculpting and muscle tightening can improve the angle more. 

Defined jaw line and neck tighter

Neck and jawline definition options

Thank your for the question and the photos.  When it comes to jawline and neck definition both the size of the jaw as well as the size/shape of the neck should be taken into account.  Often the diagnosis is really one or more of the following:  1) jaw (mandible) is too small, 2) neck is too full 3) tissue of the face and neck is too loose.  Consultation with several board certified plastic surgeons is recommended.  Based on examination and discussion about your goals I suspect that a chin implant and neck liposuction would be your best course of treatment.  Evaluation of the laxity of your neck and face would be needed to determine if a neck lift would be needed as well.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Neck and jawline definition options

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Tightening the Neck with Liposuction

At my practice in New York, neck liposuction is accomplished through tiny incisions placed behind the ears and under the chin. With neck liposuction, little straw-like cannulas are used to suction the fat away from below the chin. This should result in a more contoured jawline below the chin and a tighter looking neck area. If there is excess skin, neck rejuvenation procedures may be combined with other procedures in order to maximize improvement. I recommend consulting with a qualified expert who can give you a proper examination for neck lift surgery.

Tightening the Neck with Liposuction

Tightening chin and neck at age 33

The easiest and least expensive solution would be to do liposuction.  At age 33 your skin should be in good shape and removal of fat alone would likely suffice.

Tightening chin and neck at age 33

Chin and Neck Improvement?

You may be a good candidate for liposuction of the neck and/or chin augmentation. Consultation with several well experienced  board-certified plastic surgeons will be helpful.

Chin and Neck Improvement?

Tightening the neck and area under the chin

The best way to tighten the lower neck is to perform a neck lift.  This is a procedure that addresses fat above and below the platysmal muscle as well as tightening the platysmal muscle.  This will enable the patient to have a nice natural angulated jaw line.  It is usually performed under general anesthesia and takes an hour and a half to perform.  This operation is often performed in conjunction with a chin implant when there is a retrusion of the lower mandible.  The chin implant is placed through the very same incision as the neck lift and will complement the entire neck lift procedure.

Neck improvement in younger patient

I agree, the appearance of your neck will improve greatly with a chin implant alone but laser liposuction will also help to define your neck with minimal downtime.  Good luck!

Hannah Vargas, MD
Kansas City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Neck improvement in younger patient

Hannah Vargas, MD
Kansas City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Jawline alternatives

Please see a few expert plastic surgeons for an in person exam.  From the photos, it appears that you could get a nice result from liposuction and a chin implant plus some fillers.  Depending on the depth and angularity you need to be happy, you might need to consider a neck lift in which the fat is removed and the muscles are tightened through a chin incision.  Good luck.

Jawline alternatives

Tightening the neck and getting a defined jaw line

Your problem is a combination of things that are quite common. You have a prominence under the chin in the neck that is probably caused by excess fat. If it is, liposuction can improve this greatly. The only problem will be if you have a very prominent muscle in the area. To determine this you need to see a Plastic Surgeon who has experience in treating this area. Your second problem is lack of projection of your chin. This makes the other appear more problematic. This can be resolved with a chin implant. Doing both should give an outstanding result. Make an appointment to find out exactly what you can expect.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon