Can the Alar Part of my Nose Be Fixed to Look More Feminine? (photo)

I feel as though the outer part of my nose is much bigger than most females and I have a curve between my nose and upper lip. I have already had rhinoplasty to remove a hump from the top of my nose. I am still unsatisfied with how my nose looks from the side.

Doctor Answers 5

Overall tip harmony

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

it would be helpful to have a frontal view to fully evaluate your nasal tip,

usually the tip can be refined,   a component of this treatment would address the nasal ala.  also, to feminize your nose a supra-tip defining point would be helpful.  this is a defining point which separates the tip from the bridge of the nose,  and is distinctly feminine.

Elkton Facial Plastic Surgeon

Alar Revision for More Feminine Nose

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

With the single view you provided I think the entire tip looks bulbous, not just the ala. Despite your thick skin the tip can be narrowed and refined.

Richard W. Fleming, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 42 reviews

Revision rhinoplasty for alar concerns

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Maybe some clarification might help with some of the posted answers.  The ala can be modified easily with small incisions typically hidden in the junction where they meet the face, or near their base.  That is a common part of many rhinoplasties.  Whether you see too much flaring on the front view, or too much width to their insertion, that 's a step that most rhinoplasty docs are comfortable with, and trust.

Your picture does not show that frontal view so it's impossible to see if that is your situation.  What the side view does show is that your remaining ala appear somewhat thick and sebaceous, especially after refinement you see in your tip.  That also has a described surgery to "debulk" the ala, but in my experience that has pretty unreliable results.  Either irregular, or unimpressive changes.  If that is your concern, I would agree with others that you might not want to pursue more revisions.  

Your other concern, about the curve between the nose and the upper lip is probably a simple fix, but should be evaluated in person.  Good luck.

Kevin Robertson, MD
Madison Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 14 reviews

You might also like...

Nasal alar treatment

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

From your profile view there appears to be some excess bulk remaining in the nasal tip which could be refined.  I would need to see you in person and review multiple angles to give you good advice about the specifics of what is possible with your nose.  I agree with Dr. Palmer that surgery of the nasal ala should be reserved for more extreme cases of flaring.  I think a thorough consultation with an experienced revision rhinoplasty surgeon will give you the best feel for your options.

Mark Beaty, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 24 reviews

Can the Alar Part of my Nose Be Fixed to Look More Feminine?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

  There are techniques to reduce the bulk of the alae but they can also cause the alae to appear distorted along with thick external scars.  This, IMO, is a difficult aspect of the nose to reliably improve and why I tell potential Rhinoplasty patients that no one needs a perfect nose, just one that's sleek and refined.  

  The Cheeks, Eye area and the Lips dictate the level of facial beauty IMHO.  The nose just needs to be unobserved, so these other more aesthetically important features shine through.  Do what's reasonable to improve the shape of the nose and then work on these other aesthetic features for a naturally, more attractive face.  

Francis R. Palmer, III, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 28 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.