Should any certified staff member at a Med-Spa give Juvederm injections?

Do other traditional skin rejuvenation procedures work just as well? What Are the Advantages of Juvederm for Crow's Feet?

Doctor Answers 10

Should any certified staff member at a Med-Spa give Juvederm injections?

Not in my opinion. To inject proficiently, one must know the anatomy of the face and be able to handle any problems that may occur. I do believe the qualified nurses and PA's may do a good job according to their background, however, and some are excellent. But injections should be reserved for someone in the medical field. Only MD's inject in our office.

Savannah Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 81 reviews

Should any certified staff member at a Med-Spa give Juvederm injections?

You need a reality check. In Florida, no staff member can inject or treat or "practice medicine"! It should be a licensed doctor. Think about it. What if you have a problem, how could you blame the "staff member"? Please be very careful out there. 

Darryl J. Blinski, MD
Miami Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 174 reviews

Choose your injector carefully!

There are lots of people doing injections of fillers (such as Juvederm) as well as Botox who probably shouldn't be. The reasons are simple - it comes down to the fact that it can be lucrative, and there is little regulation of what goes on in private medical offices and spas. Thus, you find medical doctors trained in Pediatrics, Gynecology, Emergency Medicine and others, as well as non-physicians, all jumping on board.  It is incumbent on the consumer to vet them out and "buyer beware". I feel that one is best served (and will get the best result) by having their injections done by a physician, or their closely supervised P.A.or nurse, in one of the following specialties : General Plastic Surgery, Facial Plastic Surgery/Otolaryngology, Dermatology, or Oculoplastic Surgery.

Generally speaking, Juvederm is not the best choice for crow's feet. Botox/Dysport/Xeomin work well here, as does radiofrequency skin tightening and some lasers.   

James Bartels, MD
Manchester Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 12 reviews

How to choose your injecting physician

I suspect you already know the answer to this question. The effectiveness of your treatment depends on your physician’s ability to visualize the desired changes and to select and skillfully administer the best treatments alone or in combination. Since every face is different, the experience and technique of your physician injector is the most critical part to your achieving a beautiful, natural result. It is both an art and a science. Neurotoxins such as Botox, Dysport, and Xeomin are best for crow's feet.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 12 reviews

Who should do you fillers

In my opinion, if you are paying top dollar to have something done for yourself, have the person best qualified do this. This is not the NP, PA or the girl that answers the phone. It is the doctor. When things are very straight forward and  go well, which is more often than not, extenders can learn to do some things fairly well. However, when anything is out of the ordinary or you have a problem, these less trained individuals do not have the knowledge to deal with it.  There is the cookbook way to inject things that is OK for most and there is the custom way to do this whereby a well trained "physician artist" can help you achieve the best results possible.  As far as Juvederm for crow's feet goes, I would first use  botox or dysport to try to relax these. 

Jo Herzog, MD
Birmingham Dermatologist
5.0 out of 5 stars 19 reviews

Should any certified staff member at a Med-Spa give Juvederm injections?

 No, IMHO, Juvederm and all fillers, neurotoxins should be injected by the most aesthetically and medically qualified person in a medical office or a medi-spa.  If for no other ereason than to ensure that you,as the consumer, get the most for the money you're spending.  All of these, plastic and cosmetic surgery treatments and procedures do take a significant level of training, skill and proper aesthetic judgement.  IMO, it's an urban myth that anyone can get the same results.

Francis R. Palmer, III, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 25 reviews

All fillers should be done by physicians!

While state guidelines may not mandate it, I firmly believe that fillers and Botox and injectables need to be done by physicians. Injecting fillers is an art. While it may look simple to some people, that's because those of us who have extensive experience make it look simple - and it's not! Do not go to a med spa. Seek an experienced, board-certified physician.

Second, I wouldn't use Juvederm for crow's feet. You need to use a neurotoxin like Botox or Dysport there.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD
Las Vegas Dermatologist
4.6 out of 5 stars 17 reviews


Every body in the medical field is getting into the fillers, botox, lasers, peels business because of financial gaines. Spa employees including nurses, PA, ertc do not have the training to evaluate a face and discuss the options and what to expect from each option. Nor they are versed in the anatomy of the face and the fine muscles, nerves, and blood vessels of the face. That is the reason for the explosive use of Botox, Fillers, where they are over used. and that is why we see so much complications and un wanted results.

This is your face, which you want to look better , feel better about yourself, why gamble with it and give it to a person whose only motive is to make money.

See your plastic surgeon, and discuss your options

Samir Shureih, MD
Baltimore Plastic Surgeon
4.2 out of 5 stars 7 reviews

Cosmetic injections shoud be done by a medical professional

While the specific regulations vary by state, in most instances dermal fillers (Restylane, Perlane, Juvederm, Radiesse) and Botox/Dysport should be done by an MD or midlevel practitioner such as an RN, PA, or Nurse Practitioner. If not an MD then it is important to know who the supervising physician is. However, many midlevel providers have a high degree of expertise.

Richard Baxter, MD
Seattle Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 53 reviews

Filler injections should be done by a healthcare provider

There are state laws that stipulate who should give the injections. I wouldn't trust just anyone. In my opinion, all injections should be done by doctors, PA's or NP's. It's also important to have an experienced injector give you the treatment. There is a lot of variability from injector to injector.

Gary Goldenberg, MD
New York Dermatologist

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.