8 week post BA. Capsule Contracture level 2? (Photos)

i went to follow up at my surgeon today and he touched and check my breasts and told me left side have CC around level 2. but from researching, many doctors say its too early to get CC at this point.. and my left breast had been harder than right since few days post op. is it possible to tell it is CC 100% just from touching and squeezing? Is it maybe just slower to heal than rigt side? is it possible to beat CC if i m level with singulair and more massage?

Mild form of Capsular Contracture at 8 weeks post-op - treatment?

Thank you for your question!

In general, capsular contracture (CC) can occur at any time, but most cases are documented in under 12 months (i.e., anywhere from 3 months to 12 months post operation). This is because it takes time for the fibrous tissue capsule to form around the implant, and then it will have to scar down (contract).

Nevertheless, CC can start early when there is significant bleeding or infection or another co-existing problem.

Now regarding your concerns, since you have grade 2 CC, your breasts are little firm, but normal looking. Fortunately, Level 2 CC does not require surgery.

The diagnosis of capsular contracture can be made by touching and examining the breasts.

And it is possible to treat level 2 CC with non-surgical options. Some options include breast massaging, leukotriene inhibitors (Singulair), natural vitamin E complex.

Massaging will keep the naturally occurring capsule stretched hindering it from contracting. However, this should not be done excessively as you may further aggravate the breast pocket causing inflammation.

Please note that massages, vitamin E, and herbal medications have not been shown to work in clinical trials, but there is little risk with their use, and anecdotal evidence suggested that they may help with capsular contracture.

In terms of singulair, it works to prevent immune signals leading to inflammation and there have been very few studies applying singulair to CC, but all have shown that singulair is helpful for mild CC (i.e., less than Baker Level 3).

If all these treatments fail, then surgical correction is your next option. There are two methods for surgical correction: removing the capsule (capsulectomy) and releasing/tearing the capsule (capsulotomy).

That being said, you can also help prevent worsening of the capsular contracture by having regular follow-ups with your surgeon to make sure your breasts are healing beautifully.

Before starting anything, it is best to discuss with your plastic surgeon.

Hope this helps.