Is it a crater deformity from gynecomastia surgery? (photos)

I had gynecomastia surgery 7 days ago and I know it's too early to notice some change but now I have noticed the area above my nipple on the right chest is sunken in. My doctor said on the day of surgery that I had bigger breast tissues on the right side and I guess he removed all of them. So, I really want to know if I really have a crater deformity or some part of my breat is still swollen (for me the swelling is a lot resolved) I'm so frustrated now

Irregularity after gynecomastia reduction

You must wait 6 months - not a week - to see your final result. The surgical area is swollen and will change a great deal over these months. 

Contour post op

It is very early in the postoperative period.    usually in the first few weeks there is some swelling around the area of dissection and there can be contour irregularities. A compression garment should be worn for several weeks to allow for settling of tissue. If a garment is not available then an ace wrap can be used. Over time most irregularities will even out. Follow-up with your surgeon regularly.

Is it a crater deformity from gynecomastia surgery?

I am sorry to hear about your concerns after gynecomastia corrective surgery. Your plastic surgeon will always be your best resource when it comes to accurate assessment, advice, and/or meaningful reassurance.

Generally speaking, one of the potential risks associated with gynecomastia surgery is contour deformity related to over resection of glandular tissue and/or adipose tissue. This is a risk that is explained to patients who are undergoing the procedure. Many patients who have gynecomastia are looking for the chest to be as flat as possible. Surgeons must balance their desire to achieve the patient's goals with efforts to avoid over resection and contour deformity.

You may find that your situation will be improved upon release of scar tissue in addition to techniques such as fat grafting and use of allograft/dermis as a filler   I hope this helps.

Thanks for the photos,  You are still very swollen and it is impossible to predict outcome based on the photo.  It will be months before swelling subsides.  Things tend to improve over time.

Tim Neavin, MD