How long does it take for breast implants to form a crease?

I'm currently 7 weeks post op and very happy with my results. I had 280cc anatomical implants placed under the muscle. I had 0 breast tissue to begin with. The swelling has gone down a lot and a contour has started to form. There is still a lot of fullness on the top part of the breast, while less under the nipple. There also seems to be some space in the armpit area. How long does it take for the boobs to form a crease underneath if ever and do they usually drop slightly outwards?

7 Weeks Post Op

Presumably the lower poles of your breasts will expand over the next few months and swelling of tissue in upper chest will resolve to give you a softer look. I recommend that you follow up with your Plastic Surgeon to ensure you are on track and so that they can let you know what to expect as you heal.

All the best

Breast augmentation

It is important to address any post-operative concerns with your plastic surgeon.  You are still fairly early on in your recovery. Swelling after a breast augmentation occurs with 100% of patients, eventually the swelling will go down and your breasts will drop into their pockets causing there to be more fullness at the bottom.  If the breasts are too high, the use of a breast binder is beneficial to add downward pressure. I would also continue to perform your breast massages. Your doctor may also prescribe you a Medrol dose pack (steroid) to help with the swelling. I hope this helps.
Best of luck in your recovery!
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

When will breasts drop?

You are early in the recovery period.

Implants initially sit high-up because the chest muscles and surrounding breast tissues have not become accustomed to the implant resulting in tightness. You have to allow gravity to take effect, and overtime, natural tissue expansion will allow the implants to fall into place causing your breasts to appear more natural, softer, and rounder. Once that happens, the implant will sit directly behind the breast tissue in a natural 45:55 breast ratio, and the nipples will move up higher. Currently, there may be excessive upper pole fullness (> 55:45), so in time, this will change.

Please note that it is not uncommon for breasts to heal and adapt to implants at different rates. In fact, the process I described above can occur quicker in one breast over another.

You may have to wait 3-6 months for the final results. So there is a lot of time for the “drop and fluff.” If the breasts still appear different at that point in time, then you may share your concerns with your surgeon and they should be able to fix the problem.

If any implant does not drop with time, then it may be the case that the muscle attachments or the inframammary fold attachments are really strong and they may be preventing the implant from dropping completely. You may require an IMF release in the future to symmetrize the breasts if it does not get better for time.

With persistent inward and downward breast massaging, along with pole wraps, the breasts drop.

Patience is key!

Most board-certified surgeons would teach you to do breast massaging so you could do it yourself over the long-term.

Please continue to have regular follow-ups with your surgeon to make sure your breasts are healing beautifully. Their recovery instructions should take precedence over all else you read here as they are better informed about your surgical details.

Hope this helps.

Martin Jugenburg, MD