How long after a breast lift procedure do I need to wait to get implants?

Hi, after my last question I decided to go for a breast lift procedure. Spacing out the lift and augmentation procedure is the more realistically affordable option for me. I am due for surgery this coming Monday. How many months would I need to wait before I can get an augmentation as well? How do I prevent hypertrophic scars? I think I am quite prone to them. Also, regarding breasts that are different sizes, will the doctor be reducing the size of the bigger one during breast lift, or? Thanks!

Depends on many factors

The amount of time to wait for implants after a lift depends on many factors.  In the ideal candidate I perform a lift and place implants at the same time.  However, if the patient is a smoker or has other issues that may increase the risk of wound healing complication, then I wait.  The amount of wait time can be three months or longer depending on your financial situation.  And in most cases the doctor attempts to make the breast more symmetrical but there will likely be some residual asymmetry.

Corpus Christi Plastic Surgeon

Implants following lift

Hello! I would typically wait 3-6 months to allow for recovery from the lift procedure before proceeding with implants. Make sure that your surgeon is aware of your tendency to get hypertrophic scars prior to your procedure on Monday as they may use different dressings to promote healing.   I would also advise being very cautious with activity (as directed) after the surgery to reduce the chances of stretching the incision lines and affecting the scarring.  Part of the surgeon’s goal should be to make your breasts symmetrical and even (whether they plan to achieve this during the lift or implant depends on surgeon preference) but I would definitely revisit this topic prior to Monday’s surgery to make sure you are all on the same page about your outcomes.  I hope this is helpful and good luck!

Edward J. Ricciardelli, MD
Wilmington Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question.  Generally, waiting 6 months in this case would be ok before proceeding with placement of implants.  Be sure to go over your surgery goals and plan with your surgeon.  Good luck.

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Timing for Implants as a Second Stage Procedure

I usually prefer to do surgery in one stage.  A number of plastic surgeons prefer two operations. The mastopexy followed by implant surgery.  These procedures are usually staged at 2-3 months minimum to allow for swelling and healing to be at a reasonable point.

My revision rate for one stage is less than 15%. Two stages is not necessary for at least 85% of the patients when performed by and experienced Plastic Surgeon, but if you are looking to have breast implants done it would be best to seek out a local board certified plastic surgeon (if you are looking for a different one) and schedule a consultation to check out your timing and make sure that your lift has healed well enough for the implants to be inserted. Good Luck!

Implants after a breast lift

Hello dear, thanks for your question!! I recommend my patients to undergo to another procedure after 6 months post op, because until that long your body is experimenting some changes, so is better to see how your final results are going to be, to decide what is the best for the patient. I recommend to make a personal consultation wit a board certified plastic surgeon to talk abuot your goals!

Good luck :)

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

These are very good questions that are best interest to your plastic surgeon given that he/she knows your specific situation (and has his/her own protocol).

In my practice, when I am staging a  breast augmentation/lifting procedure I generally wait 3 to 6 months between the two operations. It is important that all incision lines be completely healed prior to proceeding with the second stage.

In regards to scars, I use tape (steri strips) on the incision lines followed by silicone sheeting for most patients.

Discuss your concerns regarding breast asymmetry with your plastic surgeon; yes, this would be a good time to achieve symmetry by reducing the larger side.

Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.