Follow-up Question: Carrying on from my question before, does having a good amount of breast tissue make a big difference?

I already have quite a bit of breast tissue, they are a full B and very volumous. Will it help my breasts look more natural if I go with the 500cc

Breast Tissue/Augmentation

Natural breast tissue does help to minimize visibility of breast implants, as does placement under the muscle. I recommend that you discuss your specific sizes and options in person with your Plastic Surgeon. My patients find it helpful to try on implant sizers in the office with a form fitting T-Shirt. Be sure to seek a board certified Plastic Surgeon,
All the best

Implant exchange

You would have to be seen in person to determine if you are capable of handling a larger implant that you mentioned.  Best of luck.

500 cc implant

It all depends on your exisiting body frame size but it sounds like a very large implant and much bigger than most people have so it may give you a very unnatural result

Having a good amount of tissue improves the outcome

Having a good amount of tissue improves the outcome.  This provides coverage for the implant, and lessens the risk of rippling.

Does having large amount of breast tissue affect outcome of breast augmentation?

Thank you for your question.  If the breast implant is placed under the muscle, which is recommended, you will have a more natural result if you have sufficient breast tissue coverage which you do. In terms of implant size, that is better determined by the width of your own frame. Implants that go beyond the frame tend to look less natural.  Many plastic surgeons offer 3D imaging and sizers to give you a very good representation of how various implant sizes will look on your frame.  I hope this helps.  Best of luck. 

Steven L. Ringler, MD, FACS
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Implant size

The implant size you are considering is a larger implant for your frame.  If you are looking for a very full look, then I think you will be happy with your outcome.  Many surgeons have sample implants in the office that you can "try on" to get a general impression of how you look after surgery.  If not, you may want to search online for people with a similar frame and see how various implant sizes looked after surgery.

Camille Cash, MD

Expected outcome from breast augmentation surgery?

• Thank you for the question. Generally speaking, much of the final look and feel achieved after breast augmentation surgery depends on several factors:
  • 1. The initial shape, size (volume of breast tissue), symmetry of the patient's breasts. In general, the better the preoperative breast appearance the more likely the breast augmentation “look” will be optimal.
  • 2. The experience/skill level of the surgeon is important in determining the final outcome. For example, the accurate and gentle dissection of the breast implant pockets are critical in producing long-term well-placed breast implants. Careful measurements (dimensional planning) and careful selection of breast implant size/profile are part of the surgeon's responsibilities. I personally think that these 2 factors are more important than any others, including type (saline or silicone) or model (low/moderate/high profile) of implant.

• 3. The type of implant used may determine the final outcome, especially if the patient does not have significant covering breast or adipose tissue. For example, some surgeons feel that silicone implants have a more natural look and feel than saline implants because silicone gel has a texture that is similar to breast tissue. In other words, if a patient has very low body fat and/or very little breast tissue, the silicone gel implants may provide a more "natural" result.  In your case, you have a significant amount of breast tissue present  that should provide adequate "coverage" of whichever breast implant type you select.

• 4. The size and model of breast implant used may make a significant difference in the final outcome. Therefore, it is very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon. In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful.  For example, I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C or D cup” etc. are not helpful. Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate.
  • I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to breast augmentation concerns), helps. Best wishes.

Breast implant size

Breast implant size and style should be chosen based on your goals and your phycical examination.   With specific breast measurements and an understanding  of your goals, a board-certified plastic surgeon should be able to guide you in the procedures and implant size that will help you accomplish your aesthetic goals. Without pictures it is very difficult to give you specific advice on what would  accomplish the best result for you. I recommend seeing a board-certified plastic surgeon to review concerns and to create a surgical plan.

Jacob Bloom, MD