Asian rhinoplasty had no face swelling? (Photo)

I had an open rhino 5 days ago. Tip work, alar reduction, shaving down of a minor hump, & gortex inserted. Since my surgery my face has had NO swelling or bruising like I had anticipated. Under the splint my nose still looks kinda wide to me. It could be swelling but I'm concerned since my face has no swelling--What if my nose is at a minimum swelling too and this is just my nose result? I'm hoping the nostril is swollen so I can have hope it I'll shrink some.

Asian Rhinoplasty One Week Post Op

Thank you for your question about recovery from Asian rhinoplasty.

It is way too soon to tell. The pictures you show look good.  Keep you follow up appointment and wait for your results.

For specific questions like this and about your recovery in general, it is best to speak directly with your doctor or doctor’s representative – such as his or her nurse, or the physician on call for the practice.

You will likely get many differing opinions from members of the RealSelf Community, but they have not physically seen or examined you. Nobody should know you or your unique set of circumstances better than your doctor.

If you feel you are not being listened to or you are doubting your doctor’s recommendations, then it is certainly within your rights to seek a second opinion and get the advice from another board certified physician. This should be done through an in-person consultation with a thorough evaluation, including a review of your history, review of all prior treatment and with a physical examination.

Obviously, if you think that you are having a medical emergency or other serious problem, you should call 911 and/or go to your nearest emergency room.

Best Wishes.

Asian Rhinoplasty

I think you are doing just fine.  Based on the photos, I can see the difference.  Having no pain after surgery is quite normal as well.  Swelling will come down but slowly.  So you need to be patient.  

Alex Kim, MD

Alex Kim, MD

Asian Rhinoplasty recovery

At 1 week, you are extremely early in your recovery period and the nose is expected to be quite swollen at this point. The majority of the swelling will resolve in 3-6 months, and will continue to resolve as your nose heals for up to 1-2 years.

You have not reached your final shape as the nose will continue to heal and reduce in size for up to a year. Once it does reach its final shape you may be more pleased with the appearance of your nose.

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Early result

It is not a good idea to be judging your result with your splint on  - I can see there is swelling present - remember you look to have thick skin so that will limit how much refinement you get

Thank you for your question. It sounds like you are having a phenomenal reaction to surgery. It is great news that your recovery is without swelling or bruising. You should schedule a follow-up appointment directly with your board certified facial plastic surgeon as your surgeon knows your health, your procedure and can provide you a direct and well-informed answer as well as any help or guidance with post op recovery instructions. Best wishes,

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

1 week post op, some advices:

Thank you very much for enquire.
It's too early to make value judgments with only one week after a rhinoplasty.
Swelling after a rhinoplasty depends of the surgery complexity.
In this regard, the nasal swelling Post-op It can last from two weeks to two months.
To reduce this swelling, I recommend you perform delicates daily lymphatic drainage massage therapy over the face (around the nose) avoid sun exposure, and take pain/inflamation pills, as your surgeron precribe you.
Kind regards,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Swelling is not visible in all rhinoplasty cases

Hi Addisyn,

People respond to rhinoplasty differently. Some have limited swelling, while others will have more swelling. The amount of swelling depends on the area of the nose treated, the surgical approach to the nose (open or closed), the skin thickness, the postop care, and your healing ability. The more extensive the surgery, the more and the longer the swelling will be.

Please don’t be anxious about not having experienced swelling – this is better than having to undergo various procedures to manage excessive swelling as others have … some tape the nose, some have to have diet modifications, and some may need steroid treatment. Rhinoplasty patients can often see a "final" result within a three month span, others will take up to a year or longer for the swelling to reach a final status. This does not mean the nose will not look presentable, but the nose still may be healing as the swelling decreases. On the average after 3-6 months, you should be able to see the final outcome of the procedure.

Jan Zemplenyi, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon