Is 500-550cc too big for me? It's the size and look I am wanting to go for.

I am 5'5, I weigh 103 pounds. I measured my chest size as 68cm/27 inches.

Too big

If you could provide us photos it will help, however based on your height and weight I would recommend staying away from 500cc or 550cc implants. You need to see the before/after photos of the plastic surgeon you want to have surgery with and have them show you patients with similar breast size to yours (make sure they show you at least 3 views - front, quarter turn and profile views - from each patient.

Right size Implants

Good morning and thank you for your
question. It seem that for your measures, 500cc could be a little big for you, however this depends on multiple factors as your initial size, skin condition, type of implant, personal medical history, personal desires, etc.  I recommend you to visit a board certified
plastic surgeon in order to discuss the best options for you, by trying different types and sizes of implants! Good

Rafael Gottenger, MD

Chest dimensions determine implant volume (not the other way around)

Implant volume is central to any breast augmentation consultation. While this is ultimately a patient choice, this decision is best made when taking advantage of the experience of your surgeon.  There are a number of factors which play a role in shaping this choice:
-Patient desire
-Chest/Breast base width (Arguably most important when selecting volume)
-Breast composition (breast tissue vs. fat)
-Skin elasticity (pinch test) Each of these plays a role in finding the appropriate implant for the patient in question. Once your surgeon has obtained your unique measurements he or she can set the parameters by which you will choose your implant style. While it is difficult to make any recommendations without an in-person consultation. Sizers, goal photos and 3D imaging can all be helpful. As always, discuss your concerns with a board certified plastic surgeon.

Donovan Rosas, MD
Westchester Plastic Surgeon

Focus on the look not the cc or cup size. Patient's often regret decisions based on extraneous factors as you may end up with suboptimal result. Bra's vary from store to store, and cc's mean nothing in isolation. You should be measured during your consult and offered implants within a 5mm window of those measurements in multiple styles. For what's its worth, in my experience a dimensionally sound mod+ profile tends to go from an A+/B- to the magical full C or small D. A high profile (or SRF) would be about 100ccs larger to maintain the same base width and more like a Full D but VS will call it a DD or DDD, particularly in a 32-34. Ultimately, try on the different styles and look in the mirror. When you see the look you like, pick that style! This requires a consult, exam, measurements and sizing with a board certified plastic surgeon. My patients select the implant style and their chest dimensions dictate the number of cc's. I make specific recommendations to each and every of the augmentation patients I see annually based on: 1) dimensional planning 2) expressed goals 3) amount and quality of tissue to hide the implant. I have included a link with my explanation of the different implants and what to expect from your consult as well as hundreds of before and after photos to see what change implants of a particular size deliver. Best of luck. #drfeldman #BancroftFeldman #breastaugmentation #sugarland #HoustonTX

Thank you for the question.  Online consultants will not be able to provide you with specific enough advice to be truly helpful. Ultimately, careful communication of your goals (in my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures, direct examination/communication in front of a full-length mirror, and computer imaging) will be critical. 

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering  breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully.  Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals  with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining  breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of words such as  “natural” or "C or D cup” to "too big on me" etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.  Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.  Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.

3.  Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly,  allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals.  Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery,  after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers. I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to breast  augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes. 

Breast Implants/Breast Augmentation/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question.

The size of implant best for you is dictated by your chest wall measurements.  Once we determine that we can choose the profile based on what you want or need to achieve.  If you are seeking a natural look, then the diameter of the implant should be equal to or, more ideally, smaller than the width of your breast. The breast width is a measurement of how wide your breast is at the base, which should be measured at the level of the nipple. Choosing an implant that is smaller in diameter than your breast width will avoid the "side breast" fullness that is often associated with a more artificial appearance.  Other than that, you should choose the implant based on volume, not on the dimensions of the implant. You should choose a board certified plastic surgeon that you trust to help guide you in this decision.  

Silicone will give you a fullness at the top (upper pole fullness).

Silicone implants come pre-filled with a silicone gel and are the softest implant available. They feel more natural, which makes them a good option for women with less natural breast tissue; but they require a larger incision. It may be more difficult to realize if this type of implant has ruptured, so it is important to monitor them with annual follow-up visits. Additionally, because this implant contains a more liquid silicone (less cross-linked), if this implant should rupture, it will leak only into the scar capsule formed around the implant but may cause some discomfort or implant distortion.

Anatomic gummy bear implants might be a good choice to give you volume.

These highly-sought-after, anatomic implants offer a look that more closely resembles the natural silhouette of a breast, and, therefore, are a very attractive option for individuals seeking a natural-looking, aesthetic primary breast augmentation. Additionally, these implants are an especially excellent option for patients undergoing restorative or corrective breast surgery because they provide more stability, shape, and reduced incidence of capsular contracture. Compared to other types of silicone gel implants, the silicone in the cohesive gel implant is more cross-linked; therefore, should the implant shell “rupture,” it maintains its shape and silicone does not leak.

During your breast augmentation consultation, you should feel the different types of implants available, and try on various implant sizers in front of a mirror to help you to get an idea of how you will look following the surgery. You should also bring pictures of the look you would like to achieve, as well as a favorite top to wear when trying on implant sizers.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

500-550cc too big

Some surgeons(depending on the market you are in) would say that is just right for you while others would say that is simply too big. With your height and weight, an implant half that size may give you the result you are looking for, depending on what that desired result is.

Is 500-550cc too big for me, I'm 5'5" and 103 lbs.?

Yes, implants 500-550cc in size would be larger than ideal for your height and weight. Whether these are "too big" cannot be determined without an actual examination. Certain dimensional measurements of the breasts and chest should be performed to help determine ideal breast implant size for each individual. However, myself and most plastic surgeons will deviate from "ideal sizes" in order to achieve the goals of each individual patient as long as those goals are within reason.  

Good sizing systems available so patients can choose the breast implant size themselves.

From your description it sounds as though you will be fairly voluptuous after the operation. There good sizing systems available to give you a good idea of what to expect.