What is this pain years after last abdominal surgery?

I've had about 10 abdominal surgeries, the latest three years ago. An adhesion caused me to lose 2.5 feet of my colon. Several times since, I have felt like something was open and raw inside. Each time, I have just waited it out. Today I lifted something heavy and it didn't hurt until about two hours later. Is this normal? It is still hurting a lot. Should I just lie back for a day or two and wait till it goes away again? I have no relevant photos as the pain is inside. Thank you.

Healing of Abdominal Surgeries

Here are some key points that I provide to my patients when the healing process of the tummy tuck is discussed: Swelling can persist for several months and will gradually improve and will look better at three months, six months, and even one year. Frequently the pubic area and the scrotal and penis area for men can become very swollen and discolored during the first two weeks due to gravity as this is the lowest area for swelling to accumulate.

It may take several months for a tummy tuck patient’s scars to soften, for sensation to return, and for relaxing of the tight sensation in the abdomen. In the case of extensive surgery, abdominoplasty recovery can be uncomfortable and may take longer. Scars may stay red, become thick or widen. It can take 12-18 months for the scars to settle.

These can be improved with topical treatments such as BioCorneum, Scar Guard, Scar Fade and Mederma. Redness can be improved with laser treatments and the scars can be kept narrow with products such as Embrace. On occasion, keloids or hypertrophic scars can develop and will need treatment including Kenalog, 5FU and laser.

Now, the fact is that having been three years since your last surgery there is the option to re-visit your plastic surgeon, or you could see your PCP or a specialist regarding the troubles you are feeling. Pain can occur for many reasons, but an in-person examination would be most helpful.

Abdominal pain

I'm sorry to hear of your difficulties.  Exerting yourself too much can indeed "pull a muscle" in your abdominal wall.  This will improve with some time & rest.  If the pain is more internal & similar to in the past then you need to see your general surgeon (not plastic surgeon) to be fully examined & treated.  All the best

Kim Taylor, FRACS
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon