Should I wait to have Tummy Tuck , Breast Aug and Liposuction if I still would like to lose 15 to 20 lbs? (Photo)

I've tried losing 20lbs over the last year but I just managed to gain weight from all the lifting and eating larger meals from being hunger after working out. I hired a trainer and paid a lot of money w very little results. If I get a full tummy tuck, breast aug and liposuction of the inner thighs will it be ok to lose 20lbs over the next year after the surgery or should I wait until I lose the 20lbs?

The Ideal Weight to Undergo a Mommy Makeover

The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction. 

In addition to one-on-one consultations with a board certified Plastic Surgeon, patients always need to be seen by their primary care doctor prior to such procedures.  We screen every patient and their medical records for risks of blood clots (DVT) and then take appropriate measures.  MWL (massive weight loss patients of  75 lbs or more) tend to have poor skin elasticity and will frequently need additional tightening even after 6 -12 months regardless of who or how their surgery is performed. This is simply the nature of such body tissues and the ability to heal with the lack or limited elasticity. It is also suggested to wait at least 6 months after pregnancy to undergo a Mommy Makeover.

Should I wait to have Tummy Tuck , Breast Aug and Liposuction if I still would like to lose 15 to 20 lbs?

I appreciate your question.

It would be best to be at your goal weight and also stable at that weight for 3 months prior to surgery.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

best of luck!

Dr Schwartz

Weight loss after cosmetic surgery

Thanks for your question and photo.
In general, I like to have my patients reach their stable, goal weight prior to body contouring procedure.  It would be best to consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon to be examined in-person. Your plastic surgeon will be able to tell you whether you are a good candidate for your stated procedures and guide you whether you should lose 20lbs before/after the surgery.
Best regards.

It all depends on will wait your starting at

if you're 5'2" tall and weigh 130 pounds, then losing 20 pounds will make a noticeable difference. if you're 5'9" tall and weigh 160 pounds, 20 pounds won't make as much of a difference. I tell my patients to be realistic. If your target weight can be accomplished with proper diet, exercise, and hormone balance, then you should give it 3-4 months to see what kind of progress you make. If in spite of all your efforts, the weight has changed in a year, than is probably not going to change. As a corollary, if you have a target weight that's not realistic and you're really not giving it your best effort, then it's not going to change either.

Joseph M. Perlman, MD

If possible hit target weight before proceeding with mommy makeover.

Is not imperative to be at an ideal body weight. However, if you're actively headed there go in and finish the weight loss journey and proceed with the mommy makeover afterwards.

Conditioning Before Surgery

Being in good shape is always a plus for surgery, and a stable weight is more important in your case than some number on a scale since you seem to be committed to a god routine.

Seek a  few consultations and find the surgeon that's best for you !

John LoMonaco, MD, FACS

Speak with your surgeon

I would suggest that you speak with your surgeon as everyone has a different criteria. However, you look to be in good shape based on your photos. Best, Dr. Nazarian

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Mommy makeover

From your pic it looks like you have been getting toned up in the gym and put on some muscle.  It would be best to discuss your expectations with your PS to see how a 20 lb weight loss would affect your results long term.  Good luck!

Anh Lee, MD
El Paso Plastic Surgeon

Mommy Makeover Expectations

Thank you for your post. The answer, I would say, is that if you really lost a full 20lbs after having a Mommy Makeover, that you would notice some laxity of the skin. You would likely have some drooping of the breasts, and excess skin around your tummy tuck scar. So, you really should get to a real weight you plan to maintain. That's the best way to get the a lasting result. Best wishes.

Paul J. Leahy, MD
Leawood Plastic Surgeon

Preparation for Surgery

We advise patients to have a healthy lifestyle with diet and exercise prior to Liposuction and TT, and the closer to your ideal weight the better. That said, we do NOT want any crash diets because we need the body in good shape to heal. We also advise no smoking for at least a month before and after surgery.