Why is treatment with modelling fillers such as Voluma, nearly 100% more expensive as with other fillers?

Based on retail prices, Voluma costs 300USD/ml, while other non-modelling fillers like Volift and Volbella are basically in the same price range. Yet treatment with Voluma costs in the range of 1000USD/ml and with other fillers it's half less. Why such uneven pricing, if products are basically in the same price range?

Voluma cost

Voluma is an excellent alternative to currently used fillers. We use it for restoring mid face volume in the cheek that had previously been difficult to enhance. We have seen great results lasting 12 months and more.
I would suggest you discuss your concern regarding your prior treatment with a dermatologist that has experience with Voluma. We do use it with other fillers used in different areas. We do not use under eyes so your concerns should be checked out by a doctor.

Cost is related to manufacturer costs of product. 

West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Why is treatment with modelling fillers such as Voluma, nearly 10% more expensive as with other fillers?

Since Voluma lasts roughly twice as long as most other injectable fillers and has one of the highest G'prime rating (highest viscosity), which results in better lifting capability for the same volume of product, the manufacturer, Allergan, has priced Voluma accordingly.  Given these characteristics, I believe Voluma is actually priced very competitively to the other fillers on the market.  Best wishes, Dr. Lepore.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Length of treatment

The big reason is how long Voluma lasts.  With a nearly 2 year life span, it will actually save money in the long term.  It can be used in several areas of the face as well.  I like to use it for temple rejuvenation in addition to lifting and volumizing the cheek.  

Good Luck

Voluma cost

Voluma is a unique product used to give a more lifted appearance to the mid face.  It is also unique in that it has been proven to last up to two years.  
When deciding on a filler, it is best to consider what you are hoping to achieve from treatment.  One particular filler is not best for everyone and it's not uncommon to use more than one type of filler on a patient to achieve the desired outcomes.

Camille Cash, MD

Voluma lasts much longer than standard fillers so it is well worth this.

While price depends on many things including the skill of the surgeon and the price of the product, Voluma costs much more than other fillers mainly due to the fact that it lasts up to 2 years while other fillers last about 6-9 months.  It is actually a much better deal in the long run, but only if it is necessary and only if it is used in the right areas.  Good luck!

Joel Schlessinger, MD
Omaha Dermatologic Surgeon

The Cost of Voluma

Hi Once,

In our practice, we charge and our patients pay for their naturally beautiful rejuvenated result; our patients do not pay by the syringe used.  Volift and Volbella are not FDA approved for use in the US, therefore we cannot compare to Voluma.  Voluma is more expensive than other fillers because of it's unique lifting property as well as it's long lasting (up to 2 years) effect.   Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD
Encino Facial Plastic Surgeon

Cost of Voluma

Hi there,

Voluma is definitely the most expensive filler I carry in my practice and I think cost has been a disincentive for some of my patients.

Voluma is currently the only filler that has been studied and proved to last longer than 2 years. It is a Juvaderm product that has been marketed for cheek lifts. 

Volift and volbella are juvaderm products also. They are made a little bit differently. The cross linking of the molecules is less than in Voluma, so they can be used more superficially (closer to the skin) but they also last less. 

The products are a little different and because it lasts longer, voluma is currently more expensive. 

Hope this helps!

Myriam Loyo, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon