Surgeon suggested less than one vial of Sculptra? (photos)

Lower facial volume loss secondary to age (40) and body fat changes (25% to 19%) which have my cheeks falling and creating laxity around my mouth. 1st surgeon injected Restylane into area (minimal improvement), 2nd suggested a lower face mini-lift (12K), 3rd recommended Sculptra (less than one vial) placed along lateral cheek to "lift" the offending area. Could less than one vial of Sculptra do much of anything?

Low dose of Sculptra

Thank you for your question and congratulation on your reduction in body fat composition.  I hope the loss was intentional.  Sculptra is most often used for larger volume facial augmentation.  A single vial is not likely to give a noticeable change for the areas you mention.  The truth about all fillers is that they work when used correctly and for the correct indications.  The concept of small volumes of fillers "lifting" tissue is a bit misleading.  If you are to the point where you are pushing your cheek up with your hand or fingers then no amount of filler is going to achieve that result.  Make sure to clearly state what you are looking to achieve.  Best of luck

Possible Sculptra to fill cheeks and lift laxity around mouth

It certainly is possible to use Sculptra to add volume to the cheeks and this can cause some improvement in laxity around the mouth.  Sculptra treatment normally requires multiple treatment sessions to gradually produce the desired result.  I sometimes do use less than one vial in treating a patient in a single session, but the amount used depends on the starting appearance of the person.  I would also say it is better to err on the side of using less than using too much, but the amount of improvement is also dependent on the number of treatment sessions used.  The amount used in each session is ultimately decided by the physician treating you, but I would say it is possible for you to get some improvement using less than one vial in a treatment session.  Just remember that this will need to be repeated several times to obtain the best effect.    

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facial Sculpting Using Fillers Like Voluma, Radiesse, Lyft, Juvederm and Sculptra and Fat

You can use sculptra as your base and then other fillers on top to get a more improved outcome. If you really need a lot of volume, fat injections may be best. One vial of Sculptra is likely not going to give an optimal outcome. Please see an expert. Best, Dr. Emer

What to do depends on your expectations

IF you want a truly tighter and more sculpted and angular neck line, nothing will do as well as a properly done facelift surgery (and for many of us a "mini" isn't going to do anything other than give a mini result for a mini length of time).

On the other hand, IF you will accept less result you can entertain the cheek fillers (I perfer the Restylane family over Sculptra) to pull up the neck skin a little bit. Just make sure that the treatment you choose will give the results you desire to avoid disappointment.