Surgeon chose implants too large for my lifestyle. I wanted a C and got DDs. What should I do?

8 mo. ago I got implants. I was a small C and wanted a full C to replace lost volume. I race triathlon and did not want large breasts that would interfere with my racing. I am 5'4", 135lbs. I chose 300CC silicone moderate implants. My surgeon said they would be too small and said I needed 350CCs. I went with my surgeon's advice, and I am miserable. I have 34DDs now. They are heavy, uncomfortable, and too wide for my chest wall. I need another surgery to remove these implants. How do I choose size/shape?

Breast implant revision

Thank you for your question.  You certainly have the option to downsize your breast implants.  However, keep in mind that going from 350cc to 300cc is unlikely to make that much of a difference.  Typically, measurements of your natural breast dimensions provide a guide to implant selection.  You would need an in person evaluation to determine an accurate surgical plan and proper implant size.  Be sure to consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck!

Surgeon chose implants too large for my lifestyle.

Yes, you should be able to undergo downsizing of breast implants. Keep in mind as you are thinking about your goals that sometimes adjustment of the breast implant pockets (capsule adjustments) may be necessary to achieve the outcome you are looking for. Breast lifting may or may not necessary.  Much will be dependent on your physical examination;  specifically, factors such as the amount of redundant skin and  quality of skin elasticity will be important. Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering revisionary (downsizing) breast augmentation surgery is: 1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work. 2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or "down a cup size” or "C cup" etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful. Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate.  3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your chosen plastic surgeon to work with you in determining the best plan to achieve your goals. I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to revisionary, specifically downsizing, breast augmentation surgery concerns), helps. Best wishes. 

The 50cc difference is about 1/4 bra cup or so, a relatively small difference and definitely not the difference between a C and a DD. But if you specified only 300cc and nothing else, then you should be able to get a very low cost revision. However, going down 50cc is a very small change and you may not like that volume either.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Unhappy with 350 cc implants looking for a change.

Although slightly above average implant size in my practice, it's surprising that a 350 cc would take you from a small C cup to a 34  DD cup.  Nonetheless a change to a smaller implant seems in order and the earlier the change is made the better.  Get a few opinions from other plastic surgeons as well as your surgeon to achieve a target goal.  I think it's best that a doctor take the responsibility for choosing the actual final implant at the time of surgery based on the size and contour that is created by test implants rather than having a patient make a selection based on placing volume within a bra.  The same would apply to revision surgery where you doctor should do his/her best possible to match your goals based on the actual outcome at the time of surgery. Once your skin has relaxed to a DD cup size its ability to return to its pre-stretched size becomes limited.
Good luck and best wishes.
Jon A.. Perlman, M.D. FACS Certified, American Board of Plastic Surgery ABC TV  Extreme Makeover Surgeon  Best of Los Angeles Award  2015, 2016 Beverly Hills, Ca.  

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Implant size

In recommending implant size, I base it on each patient's body (chest width, chest height, existing breast tissue) as well as her desired goal.  If you feel your implants are too large and wide, you can consider lower profile implants with narrower base (diameter).  Please communicate your concern with your plastic surgeon.  Best regards.

Find a breast revision expert and go over your implant options and possibility of lifting if there may be excess skin laxity

Stuart A. Linder, MD, FACS

Too large

A 50 mL increase in size in most people's eyes is almost impossible to discern from the smaller implant. In my experience, it takes several hundred cc to go up a cup size. You may want to give consideration to just a lift without implants. Good luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS