Will getting rhinoplasty hurt my appearance? (Photo)

can taking in the nostrils look natural on my face? is my face too round for a smaller version of my nose? for as long as i could remember i've wanted to reduce the size of my tip and nostrils. looking for a doctor to help me achieve a natural look on my ethnic nose.

Tip plasty and Alarplasty

A combination of tip plasty and alarplasty can improve the appearance of the nose and it will still fit your face. Since you have a round face, the surgery should be conservative and not too radical. 

Dr. J

Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you may benefit from a tip refining rhinoplasty. Your surgeon can accomplish this by trimming, suturing, and reshaping the cartilage in your lower nose. Cartilage grafts may also be used to help improve tip refinement. You may also benefit from decreasing the width of your alar base.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Thanks for your question. In every case the goal of a cosmetic and or a functional rhinoplasty is to improve the appearance of the nose and face not hurt it. There are some relatively subjective features to the aesthetic of a nose, however thus what one person may "like" or find attractive in a nose may differ from person to person. The best way to ensure the aesthetic result that you want is to consult with numerous surgeons and try and get a feel for their particular aesthetic. Some surgeons prefer an upturned "slope" nose, while others may prefer a more natural stronger dorsum or bridge. The only way to get a sense of your surgeons aesthetic is to view their portfolio, their prior work. If they can't demonstrate prior results then chances are they are not very experienced. In short go with the surgeon who makes the noses that you like the best and you should be fine. Hope this helps. 

Julian W. Dixon, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ethnic rhinoplasty

Maintaining ethnic features is of the utmost importance when performing a rhinoplasty. You would benefit from conservative nostril narrowing and nasal tip refinement. The notching of the nostrils can also be addressed at the same time. Make sure you seek a consultation with a rhinoplasty specialist. Best of luck. 

Michael T. Somenek, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Will getting rhinoplasty hurt my appearance?

Thank you for your question. Rhinoplasty consultations should be done in person. A thorough exam is required as well as a lengthy conversation regarding your goals as well as your convalescence. I recommend that you make an appointment with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your surgical options.

Ethnic rhinoplasty

The idea behind rhinoplasty is to create a refined version of the existing nose you already have.  Sometimes it means making a nose larger; even more common is making it smaller.  Visit with a Board-Certified plastic surgeon who will accurately examine your face and come up with the perfect plan for YOUR individual face.