Previously had under the muscle implant, then moved implant over muscle. Is it possible to return to under the muscle implant?

Initially had saline implants 450 cc implants placed under the muscle was a D size. After 2 pregnancies increased bra size to G. -Had surgery to exchange implants for "smaller" size , dr recommended 325 CC w/ lift over the surgery I am a DD cup size -Feel I am still to large and would like to return to Under the muscle do not like the look of over the muscle. What is the surgical process to achieve this?

Relocate implants

Yes it is certainly possible to relocate your implants to a sub muscular pocket again.  Relocation of your implant may or may not be necessary and can be a challenging procedure.  Either way, you may require a mastopexy if you go with a smaller size.  I highly recommend you seek consultation with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon with a lot of experience doing revision breast implant surgery.  

Thank you for your inquiry.  

It is possible to have your implants placed under the muscle again.  Not sure why your surgeon advised you to move them above the muscle.   Going back to the sub-muscular position can be a tricky procedure especially if you have to have a lift as well.  The current pocket will need to be closed and the muscle will need to be stabilized with an acellular dermal matrix.

I would recommend seeing 2-3 board certified plastic surgeons who are experienced in doing this kind of revisionary surgery.   

Conversion of breast implants to sub muscular position possible?

I am sorry to hear about the problem you are experiencing.  Yes it is possible to perform the operation you are considering: convert sub glandular breast implants to the sub muscular (dual plane) position. Successful results do depend, to some degree, on the surgeon's experience. Therefore, best to make sure that your plastic surgeon can demonstrate significant experience helping patients with this type of revisionary breast surgery.

Sometimes, patients undergoing conversion of breast implant positioning from the sub glandular to the sub muscular space benefit from additional maneuvers such as breast lifting (depending on the position of the breast skin envelope in relation to the position of the sub muscular breast implants) and/or the use of acellular dermal matrix for lower pole support and/or additional coverage of breast implants. Closing off the existing breast implant pocket is a technique utilized to help prevent the breast implant from moving back into its previous space.Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering revisionary breast augmentation surgery (regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:
1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.
In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or "C or D cup” etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate.
3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery ( after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers). Viewing the patient's chest wall in the upright and supine positions, with temporary sizes in place, help select the best breast implant size/profile for the specific patient.
I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to revisionary breast augmentation surgery concerns), helps. Best wishes.

Implants can be placed back under the muscle

Not sure why they were moved above the muscle but it is possible to move the implants under. The size question is the trickier one. If you want to make sure that the difference is noticeable, go down by at least 100 cc's. You will probably need the lift tightened up too.

Richard Baxter, MD