How long does it usually take until I can stand straight from Tummy Tuck and muscle repair? (photos)

ok need some thought/suggestions. Almost 2 weeks, not standing straight as my skin is tighter than bark on a log. I look like Mr Burns, no really. All hunched over and sucked in....

Variable

Depends the patient and the technique, rarely before 3 weeks, normally 4-5 weeks, rarely more than 5 weeks.

Spain Plastic Surgeon

Standing Erect after Tummy Tuck

The time from surgery to standing erect varies for each patient and is dependent on a patient's tolerance for discomfort as well as the tightness of the tissues.  It is best to follow your surgeon's instructions but,  rest assured, I have never seen a patient who has not resumed a normal upright position within a reasonable period of time.

Richard Kofkoff, MD, FACS
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Standing up straight after a tummy tuck

This sounds like you are in the process of normal healing. It takes my patients anywhere from five days to a few weeks to stand up straight. I tell them that if they feel of a lot of pulling, I've done my job.  It doesn't seem like you should be concerned, and you can expect to stand up straight when your body is ready. Many patients are afraid to stand up straight when

Ira H. Rex lll, MD
Fall River Plastic Surgeon

Standing up straight after a tummy tuck

This time frame is different for each patient and depends on the degree of muscle and skin tightening performed with your procedure. This varies from a few days to a few weeks. A good rule is to "listen to your body" and increase your activities as tolerated each day. Do not be afraid to try to straighten up more each day. Visit your plastic surgeon to discuss and assess if you are progressing as expected. Do not be discouraged, you will definitely be able to stand up completely straight again and you will be happy you did the surgery. Good luck with your continued recovery.

Michael Beasley, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Tight tummy!

Congratulations! You have a brand new tummy and the longer it takes to stand up straight, the longer your tummy tuck will last. So if it takes a month, it means your tuck will last a long time... way to go!

Scott W. Harris, MD, FACS

Standing straight after tummy tuck

Thanks for your inquiry.  Honestly, not even with pictures could we answer this question, only your surgeon can answer for you.  But, in my experience with my patients, they should mostly be standing straight in the first three weeks-good luck.  

How long does it usually take until I can stand straight from Tummy Tuck and muscle repair

I would think you should ask your chosen operative surgeon that question. He/she was the one who sewed you back together? In my practice I see a range in time to full straightening of 10 days to 1 month... 

Should be able to stand

Thanks for your question. At 2 weeks most people can stand straight. The amount of tension on your lower abdominal incision can contribute to the tightness. Most patients are afraid they are going to tear it apart. You should see your surgeon or their nurse to be reassured. Knowing that you are not going to mess it up is often the peace of mind to increase your activity. Lymphatic massage might also help if there is residual swelling that is contributing to the tight feeling. Best of Luck!

M. Scott Haydon, MD

Usually takes two weeks

Two weeks is not out of the ordinary. Follow up with your surgeon to be sure everything is as it is supposed to be. There may be some exercises or message that your surgeon could prescribe. Be patient, your result will be worth it.

Stephan Finical, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

How long does it usually take until I can stand straight from Tummy Tuck and muscle repair?

The time it takes to be able to stand straight up after a tummy tuck can vary from a few days to several weeks.  But don't worry with time the sensation you describe will resolve.  Best wishes, Dr. Lepore.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon