Implant removal (53yrs old)

I'm a large framed women. 53 yrs old, weight 185 and 5'6" tall. In 2007 (at 150lbs) I had a full Mastopexy with implants. Saline implants 325cc filled to 375cc. I went from a size C bra to a size DD. Nearing my 10 year anniversary I consulted my doctor about my options. He pushed new implants. I suggested having them removed completely. He said "ok, if you want sagging breasts again". with my current weight/body size/breast "girth" would they sag that badly after removal. what are your thoughts

Implant removal

Thank you for your question.  Implant removal is a common desire of women as they get older as they no longer want their implant weight, or they wish to reduce the overall size of their breasts.  In most instances women having had implants in place for 10 years have had their breasts sag and would benefit from a lift.  With your saline implants you can choose to have them drained prior to removal in order to see what your appearance without them would be.  Remember that even natural breasts may need a lift due to gravity and time and implants can hasten this need.  Hope this helps.

Percutaneous Implant Deflation

Hi,

I see patients in your situation very often. Over time, some women feel that their implants are just too big but they are unsure what their breasts would look like without them. A tool I find very helpful is percutaneous implant deflation. It's a quick procedure done in the office under local anesthesia. We numb an area in the lower breast with lidocaine and then insert a tiny needle to puncture the implant and aspirate or remove the saline. Ointment and bandaids are applied along with a compression vest. You can resume normal activity immediately after. The skin retracts over the following weeks, just like the abdominal skin does in the weeks after the delivery of a baby. This would let you and your surgeon know ahead of time what your breasts would look like with explantation alone. You would see exactly how much extra skin remains, if any, and the degree of ptosis (droopiness). You would also see how much native breast tissue you have and if it's enough for your desired look. This technique is extremely helpful in planning breast revision surgery and really puts you and your surgeon on the 'same page', so that you can make the right decision and achieve your goals in one operation. If you happen the smaller look and don't need another lift, the deflated implants still need to be explanted.  I hope this helps!  Good luck!

Ashley Gordon, MD

Removal

You have the option of removing the implants. Follow your surgeon's post operative instructions including a compression garment to assist in healing.  If you are not happy with the shape after you are healed, revisit the lift suggestion.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Removal

Explantation may require a second lift depending on skin looseness after removal. Cage be determined without clinical and photographs. 

Stuart A. Linder, MD, FACS

May need second opinion

Your requests for removal should be honored.
You don't have to have new implants.
A second opinion may help.

Implant removal

For most patients with implant removal, they have less sagging then they anticipated, it depends on the size of the implants, their position, the amount of breast tissue and the quality of the skin. We have none of that information for you so cannot comment on what may happen in your case. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Implant removal and fat grafting

You have option of removing your implants and do fat grafting. You may need to have lift revision at the same time. 

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Implant removal

It is reasonable to remove your implants, consider a secondary mastopexy to 'tighten things up' and a fat transfer to give you some volume.  This is another way to accomplish your goals.
Good luck.

Implant removal (53yrs old)

Thank you for the excellent question. Short answer: much will depend on your physical examination ( factors such as degree of breast ptosis, current position of breast implants, number of previous operations, assessment of breast skin quality/elasticity…) and your plastic surgeons' clinical judgment.  

Generally speaking, what your breasts will look like after explantation depends on several factors such as: the quality of skin elasticity (the better the elasticity the better the skin will bounce back), the size of the implants used (the larger the implant the more trouble you may have with redundant skin), and the amount of breast tissue present at this time (which may have changed since the time of your breast augmentation). Life experience since your breast augmentation procedure, such as pregnancy or weight gain weight loss, will potentially influence the factors discussed above. If you take these factors into consideration and apply them to your specific circumstances you may get a good idea of what to expect after the implants are removed.
Patience is definitely indicated after removal of breast implants; it will take many months for the skin to “bounce back” and for you to see the final appearance of the breasts.
I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to breast implant removal surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes.