I am looking into having a breast augmentation. My doctor recommends a breast lift, as well. Any advice?

I REALLY do not want the extra incisions, scars, and additional healing time. Would it really look that bad to just have the augmentation without the lift, even if m doctor thinks I need the lift? How soon do breasts start sagging or drooping after an augmentation? A few years?

Breast lift or not.

As others have alluded, it is impossible to say what would work best for you without examining you.  It just depends on your anatomy.  Under certain circumstances, it might be possible to just do the augmentation, but it will take careful discussion with your plastic surgeon.  Good luck!

Breast Augmentation with Lift for Superior Results

#BreastAugmentation without a #BreastLift is usually a mistake looked back on by many patients. Most breasts will look larger and more droopy.They will sag more and sooner because of the excess weight altering the longevity of the results. The shape will usually not be satisfactory and sometimes results with “Snoopy” breast or double bubble.

I usually prefer to both lift and augmentation in one surgery. A number of plastic surgeons prefer two separate stages or surgeries; the mastopexy followed by implant surgery. These procedures are usually staged at 2-3 months minimum to allow for swelling and healing to be at a reasonable point.
My revision rate for one stage or a combined surgery, is less than 15%. Two stages is not necessary for at least 85% of the patients when performed by and experienced Plastic Surgeon.

There are a variety of techniques for these operations. Lollipop lift (vertical lift), donut (periareola) lift, Benelli lift, crescent lift, #anchor lift(inverted T ).
I prefer to use a #shortscar technique, #LollipopScar or #DonutLift” rather than the majority of surgeons in the United States that use an anchor pattern lift which involve more significant scarring.

Implants are not enough

Many women refuse breast lift because of the ugly vertical scars associated with the traditional techniques.For that reason, a new technique was developed called The Ultimate Breast Lift™.The breast tissue is reshaped creating upper pole fullness, elevated higher on the chest wall and more medial to increase your cleavage.Aligning the areola and breast tissue over the bony prominence of the chest wall maximizes anterior projection without the use of implants.If your physician recommends a breast lift, you need to follow his advice.This is necessary because 22% of women who undergo breast augmentation alone require revision within 2 years.A frequent cause of dissatisfaction is not performing a simultaneous lift when needed.Implants add weight to the breast and will create additional drooping if a lift is not performed.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Without pre-op photos, it's impossible to say how you would look with just an augmentation.  If your surgeon said you are bordering on needing a lift, then you may be happy with just an augmentation knowing that you may need a lift in the future, whether it be 1 year to 3 or 5 years away. If your surgeon definitely recommended a lift because you are too droopy, if you only get an augmentation, your droopy skin will hang off of your implants and it will not look good.  If you are unsure of the recommendation, consider doing some more research of board certified plastic surgeons and visit a couple more to see what the recommendations are.  Your expectations also play a large role in what procedure you are going to need so when you see more surgeons, be sure to be upfront about your goals.  ac

Angela Champion, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

My doctor recommends a breast lift, as well. Any advice?

It is impossible to answer yoru question without photos. Please consider re-posting your question with photos for a better assessment.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Concerned about breast lift scar

It is difficult to answer your question without photos or direct examination.  If your plastic surgeon feels that you need lift in order to have a good shape, you should have lift with breast augmentation.  If you are uncertain about his/her recommendation, you can seek a second opinion.  In plastic surgery, we always exchange scars for a great contour.  Obviously if you are unwilling to accept the necessary scars associated with the procedure, you should not get the procedure.  Best wishes.

Breast augmentation

Without photos of your breast it is impossible to give you any advice. I recommend you visit a board certified plastic surgeon. Best of luck

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Do I need a lift?

Without a picture it is impossible to advise.  If you are uncertain about your doctor's recommendation, please seek the opinion of another board certified plastic surgeon-Good Luck.  

Breasts augmentation without lift

Dear svaughn,
   It is impossible to give you an opinion without seeing your pictures. At times, you can get by with only breasts augmentation, if the saggyness in minimal. If the saggyness is noticabble - level 2 or 3, you have to have at a minimum mini lift ( donut ) procedure with the breasts augmentation. A full lift ( key hole ) , usually, gives  more beautiful, oval and perky breasts. The scars are a fair trade off for beautiful breasts. The scars fade with time. If you are one of the rare patients who develops kelloid or severe hypertrophic scar, than it is another matter and you should discuss it with your surgeon. As far as when the droopiness occures, with level 2 saggyness it is immediate and you are not going to be very happy. So, if you trust your surgeon who examined you and assessed your droopiness , go with his recommendation. Always, consult with board certified plastic surgeon who operate in accredited surgery center for your safety. Most importantly, check the before and after pictures to make sure that they are numerous, consistent and attractive. Check also the 'realself' reviews for positive patients experience which provides important information on the surgeons.
                                                Dr Widder

Please send pictures

The decision for lift and implant will depend on the position of the nipple, breast tissue position and degree of sagging off the chest wall. Please send pictures.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon