Can flank liposuction be performed immediately after a tummy tuck?

Can flank/abdominal liposuction be performed immediately after a tummytuck ? Instead of doing the liposuction first and then the tummytuck, can the tummytuck be done first and then the liposuction performed immediately after.

Lipo before, during or after

Thank you for your question! Different plastic surgeon have different ways on how they perform certain operations and differ on their comfort levels on performing certain procedures. I typically perform liposuction and abdominoplasty at the same time. I believe this gives my patients better results than abdominoplasty alone. There is an increased risk of certain complications when performing liposuction and abdominplasty together however. If I was to separate the procedures, I would do liposuction first and then at about 6 months do the abdominoplasty. I would think if an abdominoplasty was done first and then liposuction done later, this would lead to a risk of having some excess skin afterwards and may require a revision of the abdominoplasty. If liposuction is performed first then later on during the abdominoplasty one can remove all the excess skin and the blood supply to the abdominal tissue will be stronger because its been delayed. But as I stated previously, in most, but not all patients, I prefer to perform liposuction and abdominplasty at the same time. Hope this helps and good luck!

Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

Flank liposuction

Each plastic surgeon employs different surgical technique.

I routinely combine liposuction of the flanks and tummy tuck at the same time.  I perform liposuction of the flanks and waists, then proceed with tummy tuck.  By doing the liposuction first, it allows me to contour the waist line.  Please talk with your plastic surgeon for his/her surgical plan.

Thank you for your question.  Liposuction of the abdomen can performed at the same time as a tummy tuck, but there is a higher risk of complications.  It is safe to perform liposuction of the flanks and lower back at the same time as a tummy tuck.  Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon. 

Flank liposuction can be performed at the time of tummy tuck.  Abdominal liposuction at the time of tummy tuck can compromise blood supply so it should be separated in time so that blood supply can be reestablished.

Liposuction Timing

Liposuction can be done at the same time as a tummy tuck if the area suctioned is not the abdomen. Very often when a tummy tuck is done the flanks are suctioned to achieve a better shape to the waist. Some conservative limited suctioning of the abdomen can be done at the same time as a tummy tuck to enhance the result. If the volume is excessive to the abdomen it is best to stage the suctioning either before or after the tummy tuck. 

Jeffrey W. Hall, MD

Tummy tuck and flank liposuction.

Thank you for asking about your tummy tuck and liposuction.

• I assume that your tummy tuck and flank liposuction will be done at the same operation.
  • The sequence is up to your surgeon - I usally do flank liposuction at the start, then additional liposuction at the end for contouring.
  • If your liposuction and tummy tuck will be different operations, ask your surgeon to do them together.
  • If not, do the liposuction  six months after the tummy tuck, unless there is a reason to do it first.
  • I assume your surgeon is Board Certified in Plastic Surgery.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Liposuction before or after abdominoplasty

It's probably better to have liposuction in conjunction with your abdominal plasty or liposuction six months after the abdominoplasty.

Surgery creates scar tissue that needs time to mature before secondary surgery is appropriate.

Liposuction immediately after an abdominoplasty you could cause complications.

If you were to choose immediately before or mediately after then immediately before is probably better.

Talk to your plastic surgeon to see what he or she recommends.

At times plastic surgeons do not address the flanks sufficiently during a full abdominal plasty.

To do so well often requires turning the patient under General Anastasia.

How to approach this is very patient dependent and each plastic surgeon has their own style.

Mats Hagstrom M.D.

Mats Hagstrom, MD

Liposuction and tummy tuck

As others have said, liposuction is usually done at the same time as tummy tuck. It can also be done afterward to help improve the results.  This sort of touch up procedure is usually done 6 months after the initial procedure.

John Dean, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Timing of tummy tuck and liposuction

Thank you for your question. Typically, at least in my practice, liposuction is part of the tummy tuck procedure and done at the same time in order to get the best results from the overall procedure. There really is no need to stage the procedure like that. That would only prolong recovery time and be twice the expense. 

Consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon near you. He or she can answer all of your questions,

I do not recommend it

The best time to perform liposuction in my opinion is at the same time as the tummy tuck. The inherent problem with liposuction first followed by a tummy tuck or tummy tuck followed by liposuction is that the scarring from the initial procedures makes the subsequent procedure more difficult therefore adversely affecting the final aesthetic result. Also liposuction after a tummy tuck may result if loose skin that again will compromise the final result. If liposuction was to be performed after a tummy tuck, you should wait at least 6 months before having liposuction done. It is also important to massage the abdomen and undergo lymphatic massage treatments to keep the abdomen soft to minimize scarring at a later date when liposuction is contemplated.

Dr. Ravi Somayazula

Ravi Somayazula, DO
Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon