Is it possible corset plication of the platysma can pull salivary glands down?

I always get such great info from this site, I follow-up with my PS soon and from what I've read here and other sites a corset platysmaplasty can cause a "bowstring" effect if not also treated with a lateral suture. Is it also possible that tightening the platysma could also cause ptosis of the salivary glands? I ask because I think this is what is going on with me. Early 30's slim, never had visible glands before this procedure. Now they bulge and create a shadow causing a "jowl" effect.

Salivary glands

I believe it is very unlikely to pull down the salivary glands with the thigh ting of the platysma muscle but sometimes the defatting of the neck can produce the glands to appear more prominent.

Salivary gland prominence after neck lift

A neck lift in any of its forms should not affect the position of the salivary glands (i.e. make them more ptotic). Pre-existing salivary gland ptosis can be unmasked when the loose skin and excess fat above them is removed with surgery. 

I am not a proponent of surgically altering prominent salivary glands in the neck.

Steven M. Daines, MD
Newport Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Neck lift - corsettplasty - salivary glands

thank you for posting this question. A corsettplasty does not cause a down pull on your salivary glands. The "bowstring" - effect can happen if the corsettplasty is performed with a running suture. In order to avoid that single interrupted sutures are preferred. The corsettplasty can be a very powerful technique in contouring the neck. Discuss your options with your plastic surgeon. He/or she will be happy to explain the different anatomical features and surgical option available to you.

Best of luck

Bianca Knoll, MD
Frankfurt Plastic Surgeon

S it possible corset plication of the platysma can pull salivary glands down? = unlikely unless the glands where ptotic to start

Corset plication platysmaplasty does't cause ptosis of the salivary glands ( pulling down of the glands). However, if a patient does have ptosis of the saliva glands to start with, the platsmaplasty by making the neck more sharp, could make the already present ptosis of the glands more prominent. 

There are surgical treatments for management of ptosis of salivary grands, however, those procedures  have significant surgical risks.

John Mesa, MD

Platysma plasty procedure

A platysma plasty procedure involves tightening the platysma muscle and does not pull the salivary glands downward. When the fat deposits are removed from the neck above and below the platysma muscle, it can unmask the pre-existing  ptotic sub maxillary glands, once the fat has been removed

Neck lift: corset plication and bulging salivary glands

A cervicoplasty or neck lift is a surgery to improve the contours of the neck by a number of different technique.

Corset platysmaplasty is a technique that tightens the muscle covering the majority of the neck. It pulls both sides toward the midline.

The submandibular glands are salivary glands that sit under your jaw. Glands previously hidden by loose skin can potential become visible once tension is applied across the neck. This happens in skinnier patients and those who have had submental liposuction. An examination is necessary to confirm your glands are showing. Some surgeons but not all perform a reduction of the gland to make them less noticeable. Find a surgeon who performs this technique and see what they recommend. Safety comes first.

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

The Jowl Effect--VASER & Thermi for Jowls

This is tough to answer without a picture. If it's creating jowls, that can be improved with Vaser and thermi to get great results and remove fat, tighten skin and improve the jowls.  See an expert. Best, Dr. Emer.

Corset platysmaplasty

Thanks for your question.

I have been performing corsets for decades. Properly done, the operation STRENGHTENs the support of the neck without a need for lateral suturing.

Richard Sadove, MD
Gainesville Plastic Surgeon

Thanks for the question. It isn't possible to comment on your anatomy without knowledge of it. Feel free to resubmit your question with full face front and side photos and we should be able to offer some advice. The corset platysmaplsty has little following among surgeons for many reasons, but should have no effect on the salivary glands.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Hello Ollie_828,

One of the limitations of the corset platysmaplasty is it is pulling towards the middle.  This can lead to the jowls being pulled down to some extent.  The way to avoid this is by elevating all of the skin on the neck and jowls so when the muscle is brought to the middle it doesn't pull the skin with it.  Laterally based sutures can also help.  

You mentioned you are seeing more of your salivary glands.  These would not change position with a corset platysmaplasty.  The reason is that they are a deeper structure.  However, they can become more noticeable if the skin has tightened around them and they are slightly lower than what is ideal.  Their position is usually known before surgery and is usually brought to the patient's attention.  

Since you may have either of the problems above, it is best to follow up with your surgeon to be evaluated and determine what is creating your concern.  If you aren't happy with his or her answers then consider getting a second opinion.

I hope this helps and good luck.  

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon