7 days PO - when will pain end? Implants are under the muscle (Photo)

I had a BL/BA, tummy tuck and lipo 7 days ago. The concern I have is with my breasts. They're really swollen and heavy (one more than the other). I was down to my last Tylenol 3 so I took it before bed last night. Well when I woke up I was in PAIN. This pain is a combination of pain and pressure both. One breast is a little more swollen than the other. I had a po visit yesterday and my surgeon wasn't concerned and said everything looks fine.

Possibly Hematoma?

Dear missyp1,

I always explain to patients when we do a bilateral procedure, one side is always going to bruise more, hurt more or swell more. If the volume asymmetry is marked, however, it could indicate that you have bleeding around the implant called a hematoma. If so, that will need to be drained. Not only is it an infection risk, but also it will lead to hardening of the implants over the next few months. Stay close by your surgeon for re-exam if necessary.

I hope this has been helpful.

Robert D. Wilcox, MD

Mommy Makeover / Tummy Tuck / Liposuction / Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants

I appreciate your question.

Right now, you are very early on in the post op recovery period. It will take 3-6 months for you to feel comfortable having implants in your body and for them to settle. This time allows for you to physically and psychologically adapt to your new body image. There are many variables that contribute to a breast augmentation's final result. Preop size and shape, IMF location, location of the implants and type of implant. Patients heal at different rates and each breast will sometimes heal at a different rate. Rest, relax, recover and heal.  Please Express your concerns to your surgeon so he/she can examine you at this time. Then reassess final result at 6 months.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

Pain after mommy makeover

I am sorry to hear that your are in pain. It is typical to require pain medication at 7 days post-op, although Tylenol 3 is on the weaker side of pain meds. Perhaps you should ask for something stronger. I see some breast asymmetry in terms of size, but that is typical at this point. There is nothing concerning in the picture to explain increased pain. Best of luck!

Early result

Thanks for your inquiry and sorry for your struggles.  You are doing the right thing by being seen by your surgeon. Only by examining you can we tell if there is something to be concerned about. 

Pain management

You look fine but it sounds like you need something stronger for pain.  In my opinion Tylenol #3 is not strong enough for most patients who have had a large procedure.  And yes and aug, with lift, tummy tuck and lipo is a huge procedure. Talk to your surgeon-get something stronger and a muscle relaxant.  This isn't meant to be an endurance test.  Jane

7 days post op - when will pain end?

Thank you for your question. The person best suited to answer your question is your plastic surgeon. I recommend that you call their office and schedule an appointment to discuss your post operative concerns and convalescence.

7 Days PostOp, when will pain end.

Thank you for your question and for sharing your photograph. I am sorry to hear of your pain but assuming your physician did not find any anatomical reasons during your appointment for other possibilities, such as a hematoma, you may need to have additional/different pain medication or a muscle relaxant to allow you greater comfort. Voice your concerns to your surgeon today.  

Mommy Make-over, Tummy Tuck, Liposuction, Breast Lift, Breast Augmentation

Congratulations on having undergone your procedures. I am sorry to hear you woke up in pain this morning. I suggest you immediately call your doctors office and get your questions answered today and make sure you are going to be comfortable with your pain management over the weekend.  I ask my patients to wait 3-6 months before evaluating the end results of the breast augmentation/lift surgery. This waiting time allows patients to adapt to the changes in their breast size and shape as well as their overall new body image. There are a significant percentage of patients at your stage of recovery that feel that they are too big or (more commonly) too small. And those emotional feelings can change daily turning this transitional time. Remember also that each side of the body heals at a different rate and that you weren't perfectly asymmetric to begin with so although you should be closer in symmetry there will always be differences.

It can take many months to see the final results of surgery. Swelling, soreness, skin repositioning, implant settling must resolve completely before you can make that determination. Once the swelling around the implants has also resolved you can see the final result. Patients often report that they are happier with the implants' shape their cleavage and projection once these changes occur.

I would suggest continued patience and continued close follow-up with your plastic surgeon.
Best wishes or an outcome that you will be pleased with long-term.

Will the pain stop & days Post Op

Thank you for your question.  I would recommend you call your plastic surgeon's office to schedule an appointment to be examined as soon as possible.  You should also be taking your pain medication as prescribed every 3 -4 hours and being very limited in your daily activity even when you may feel you can do more.  Good luck on your recovery and I hope this helps!

Camille Cash, MD

Pain after Mommy Makeover.

Thank you for your question.  Our office takes post operative pain management seriously.  Our current protocol includes a pain pump, (with numbing medicine), that will instill the numbing medicine in the area for the first three days after abdominoplasty.  Patients typically move off the pain medicine to Tylenol after a few days.  We try to avoid ibuprofen and aspirin products for a couple weeks post op.  It is common to have spasm post operatively.  I am glad to hear that your surgeon evaluated you and is treating the situation. Best to continue to see your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon as each surgeon will approach the operation and the postoperative management differently.

Jeffrey J. Roth, MD, FACS