What Can I Do to Fix my Crooked Face?

When I take a photo head on it looks like the left side of my face is fully developed and the other isn't at all. The left side of my lips literally slants down. If looking under my chin, my jawbone extends out so much further on the left side then the right. Actually looks like my jaw never extended on the right. I'm a college student who's always around people and it makes me not only self-conscious but also extremely insecure.

Doctor Answers 1

Facial Asymmetry

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Asymmetry of the face is the norm: no one half of the face are identical to the other. There are, however, some cases of asymmetry that are more severe. The diagnosis of craniofacial microsomia involves underdevelopment of one side of the face from birth, including the ear and jaw. This can range from very mild (slightly smaller ear on one side) to severe (absent ear and portions of lower jaw on one side). In these cases, surgical correction is often required. An additional diagnosis of facial asymmetry occurs after birth, sometimes even into adulthood: Perry-Romberg Syndrome or Romberg's Hemifacial Atrophy. In these patients, there is a progressive loss of facial volume (on only one side) over time. There is no known cause of this syndrome and the severity is also variable. Many patients require surgery (often fat transfer or grafting) to correct this problem. It is also possible to have overgrowth of one side of the face. When this occurs in the jaw it is termed condylar hyperplasia; Jaw surgery can be performed in severe cases. In order to determine which process is involved, consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon should be sought. The best plastic surgeons to see for these types of problems are those at children's hospitals in the Craniofacial Surgery sections. There are several at Texas Children's Hospital that are exceptional.

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.