I'm 37 just had my last child. Would like to get a tummy tuck.

How long should I wait to get a tummy tuck? I'm 6weeks pp. I'm so ready to have the body I deserve

Tummy Tuck after pregnancy

It is very important to allow your body to heal completely after all the changes that occur during pregnancy and delivery. Ideally, you would want to let your body loose as much of your pregnancy weight as is practical.  For some, this may take only a few months. For others, this may take up to a year.  Generally speaking, I think a minimum of 6 months is necessary for healing after an uneventful pregnance/delivery.  Delivery by C section and/or other complications during birth would probably lengthen the time interval before a tummy tuck would be optimal.  As always, there is no set time frame for everyone so a comprehensive discussion with your plastic surgeon is essential in planning your abdominoplasty.

TT after childbearing

I recommend waiting 9 months for your body and mind to recover from this life changing experience of having a child. I strongly feel that emotionally, and mentally, you need time to enjoy your new family edition and bond.  This is a brief moment in time with your child, please enjoy it! Your body also will go through recovery changes after pregnancy.  Important to have a stable body before this type of procedure because it may change (weight gain/loss, skin elasticity, etc).  

Congratulations again on your growing family! 

Hope this helps and best wishes!

Dr. Morales

ABPS Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Houston, Tx

Rolando Morales Jr, MD

6 Month to have the procedure after delivery. 

The recommended BMI is less than 30. This is the recommendation of the American society of plastic surgery. The reason simply, is increased chance of complications. These include but limited to, pulmonary embolus, deep venous thrombosis, delayed wound healing and increase infection rate.

there are different types of tummy tucks which one is right for me and how are they different from the other? There is a mini tummy tuck, tummy tuck and a vertical abdominoplasty. The appropriate procedure depends the amount and location of the excess skin. That's what your plastic surgeon will have to determine after the actual physical exam.

Choose a board certified plastic surgeon who has done a ton of Tummy Tuck and has privileges to do this surgery at a local university hospital. This says his credentials have been checked out by fellow Drs. All surgeries carry risk, talk to your plastic surgeon and choose one wisely.

Many surgeons, including myself, offer online virtual consultations where you send us your photos and we can estimate the cost. I, like many surgeons, also offer free consultations so that you can be examined and given the most accurate quote possible. Please be mindful that the in person physical exam is the most important and could potentially alter your treatment plan.

Tummy tuck after baby

Typically plastic surgeons wait 6 months after delivery, but it also depends on when your weight has stabilized and your overall health. Consider that there will be a weight restriction during your recovery process. That means lifting the baby may be difficult. So you will need to plan to get some help with the baby.

Kiran Polavarapu, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

Most surgeons would want you to wait at least 6 months post partum prior to undergoing any surgery. This will also give you time to lose any excess baby weight you may still be carrying. Good luck!

TT timing after delivery

Thank you for your question. I usually recommend about 6 months after delivery. Please consult with a board certified PS for evaluation.

Thanks for your question.  Assuming you are a suitable candidate for a tummy tuck I would advise you to wait no less than six months before proceeding.  It is like to be close to a healthy and maintainable post baby weight and not rush ahead prematurely.  Also, having support to help care for your children is an important matter since you need to avoid stress to the muscle repair and reduce the risk of complications during the initial 6 to 8 weeks of healing.  Meet with an ABPS board-certified plastic surgeon in a few months to discuss your options and find the doctor with whom you are most comfortable.  The video linked above may provide you some additional useful information about tummy tucks.  Good luck and best wishes,

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
ABC-TV Extreme Makeover Surgeon
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Tummy tuck post pregnancy

Hello and congrats on your new baby! This is a good question with many variables to consider. One is time. You should wait at least 6 months before considering tummy tuck after pregnancy. Second is weight. For the best most predictable final results, you should be at or very close to your pre-pregnancy weight. If you find that you cannot get back to that weight then you should at least be at a weight that is stable. Third is your baby. I have done tummy tucks on women who have at least one child that was 1-2 years old. They had a very good support system (family that stayed with them to help out) that helped with taking care of the little ones. However, it was difficult for the patients to not be able to pick up and hold their kids. Usually it takes about 6-8 weeks before you can pick up anything heavy. You do deserve this! However, just make sure you completely understand everything it entails so that you can decide when the best time to have it done is. Once again congrats and good luck! Please make sure you are being evaluated by a board certified plastic surgeon!

Ankur Mehta MD

Ankur Mehta, MD
Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

6months to let your body recover from pregnancy prior to considering TT

Thanks for your question. Congratulations on your baby! As the other surgeons have indicated, it takes about 6 months to reestablish your body's baseline. Your skin will have time to accommodate and your weight will stabilize. Hopefully at that point you will be at a weight that is healthy and that you can maintain. Find a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon in your area that is an ASAPS member and specializes in cosmetic body contouring. Best of Luck!

M. Scott Haydon, MD

Tummy Tuck

Thank you for your question! First of all, congratulations on the newest addition to your family. In my experience, it would be best to wait at least 6 months before having a tummy tuck after giving birth. 

Other factors to consider: 1. You will need someone to help you with the baby after surgery for 2-4 weeks while you are recovering. 2. If you have chosen to breast feed your baby, you will need to wait 3 months after you stop breast feeding to have surgery. 3. I would recommend getting to be within 20lbs of your goal weight before any surgery so that your results are long lasting.

I hope this information helps! Good luck.