My 13 year old daughter has excess skin on her clitoral hood that keeps tearing ... Please help

My daughter has a reoccurring tear on her clit hood that sometimes slightly bleeds and stings her when she urinates .. What needs to be done and does she need surgery?

Clitoral Hood Skin Redundancy: Teenager

Thank you for your question.  Clitoral hood redundancy is one reason that can result in  tearing.  One specialist that I would recommend seeking an evaluation is by a subspecialty-certified pediatric urologist experienced in cosmetic urologic surgery.  I am a pediatric and adolescent urologist, as well as, a cosmetic urologist.

What differentiates subspecialty-certified Pediatric Urologists and most plastic surgeons and gynecologists is the vast experience in the evaluation of female and male genitalia in children of all ages.  They also require Board certification in Urology and subspecialty certification in Pediatric Urology.  

Best of luck.    

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP

Cleveland Urologist

It is atypical for a tear to exist in isolation without repetitive trauma. It is possible she has excess skin there that is causing chafing or tearing. Best to see a gyn, pediatrician or plastic surgeon with experience in this issue to rule out any other problems before considering surgery.

Excess clitoral hood skin keeps tearing on my 13 year old daughter-please help

Dear Sarah9911,

Thank you for writing in about your concerns for your daughter.  This is not a normal occurrence and should be evaluated by a pediatrician who can then make an appropriate referral if needed.  As mentioned below, this can occur due to a number of reasons (infection, dermatitis), however, if the skin is getting caught on her clothes during certain activities because of its size, a surgical reduction may be necessary.  Please look for a highly experienced cosmetic-plastic gynecologist if this is needed, and more than one opinion is recommended before any procedure is done.  Her body is still growing and changing, and there is a risk of re-growth of tissue.

I hope this information is helpful.

Dr. Troy R. Hailparn

Troy Hailparn, MD
San Antonio OB/GYN

Tearing and Bleeding on the Clitoral Hood of a 13 Year Old

Thank you for your question.  This is abnormal for a young girl to experience the symptoms that you describe.  This could be caused by infection, some form of dermatosis, or physical trauma.  Please schedule a consultation for a clinical examination with a reputable pediatric gynecologist in you area.  Surgery should only be considered as a last option.  All of the best to you and your daughter.

Take Care,
Dr. John Serrao

Tearing hood in 13 year old girl

I would recommend she see her pediatrician for an examination to rule out an infection or other causes. If they are unsure then ask for a referral to a gynecologist, or have her see your gynecologist. There are numerous things that could cause this that should first be ruled out.
If it turns out that it is large labia and hood that are being chaffed with sporting or physical activity then you'll want her to see an experienced cosmetic gynecologist to discuss reduction. She will need your consent, of course.
Best of luck.

Oscar A. Aguirre, MD
Denver Urogynecologist

Clitoral hood recurrent tearing

The clitoral area is highly variable in shape and size. An exam is necessary to determine the best way to manage the problem surgically or nonsurgically.

Clitoral hood excess

If she has significant clitoral hood excess causing tears, then it can be reduced. However, I can't tell the type of reduction unless I see photos and the location of the tear.

Gary J. Alter, MD

13 year old clitoral issues

Hi. This is how I would proceed:

Have her see a gynecologist who is comfortable with the exam of a 13 year old pubertal adolescent

Have the gynecologist determine if the anatomy is normal - not only the clitoral prepuce or skin, but the clitoris itself.

If the anatomy is normal, then decide on treatment to stop the tearing.

If the anatomy is not normal, then direct treatment towards the anatomic abnormality, ie. the clitoris itself, or the clitoral skin.

My 13 year old daughter has excess skin on her clitoral hood that keeps tearing

Thank you for your question.  I would recommend having your pediatrician examine your daughter's vagina and clitoral hood to diagnose the cause of this repeated tearing and etermine the best course of treatment.  She may simply require local wound care to help stimulate healing.