Chemical Peels?

I'm ging to purchase a chemical peel from a website and perform it on myself. I was thinking about getting a 12% or 15%. I need something pretty strong I think, but I'm a little scared so I'm going to go with a medium, and do it again in eight weeks. What do you think? It's to expensive in the salons. I'd also like to show doctors up close photos of my face because I'm considering under eye injections for tired look. Would love some opinions before I do it. Thanks in advance.

Doctor Answers 5

Chemical peels

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Chemical peels should not be preformed as an at home treatment. Please consult a licensed aesthetician or a doctor to do your treatment for you. I have seen many cases of self treating that have gone wrong and you will end up spending more money in the end to fix mistake (some which can be permanent). The under eye injections can give you a more youthful awake look, I would ask your licensed care provider for more information.

Self treating with chemical peels

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Unfortunately, in this day and age of the Internet, I have seen all sorts of people now doing all sorts of things to themselves, and then paying for it tremendously as far as scarring, cost to fix, etc. I strongly encourage you not to try and "save money on peels" by doing them yourself, as I assure you that you'll pay 10 times that or more to try to fix (& sometimes you can't fully fix) the burn, scar, mistake. Dermatologists are the experts in peels, at least get a consultation with one to see if this is even the right thing for you.

Benjamin Barankin, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Do not treat yourself with a peel

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

You will save yourself unnecessary problems by not treating yourself with an acid peel.  Burning and scarring may be permanent.  Consult a board certified dermatologist before you do any harm to yourself.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Do Not Recommend At-Home Chemical Peeling

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I do not recommend you do chemical peels on yourself at home. I also do not recommend you have them done in "salons." Chemical peeling should be done in a doctor's office under the supervision of a board-certified physician experienced in chemical peeling. Even lighter peels can cause unwanted, permanent side effects when done incorrectly.  And rather than show us pictures online, I suggest you make an appointment with a physician and let them evaluate your eyes in person.  The role of the in-office consultation is to be evaluated and to discuss treatment options (get doctor's opinion!).

Be extremely careful with powerful peeling agents purchased over the internet

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I am not sure what chemical you are considering using for a peel.  I would not advise using TCA as a home care chemical peel.  This chemical if inappropriately applied can cause permanent scarring and injury to the eye.  If you are considering a glycolic peel then this is an intraepidermal peel and you are unlikely to get into too much trouble.  Some times it is best to go to a professional who is experienced with skin care and not to try do it at home remedies.  Don't be penny wise and pound foolish.   

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.