I had lipo 4 weeks 3 days ago; is this normal looking? The first pic is after (Photos)

Final lipo results may take several months

Swelling, lumpiness and irregularity is common in the first few months after liposuction. Although a lot of the post-op swelling has likely gone down at 4 and a half weeks, it's normal for minor swelling to persist for the next several months. If you are concerned, I urge you to discuss your results with your plastic surgeon. After about 6 months, your finalized results should begin to take shape. Best wishes.

Postoperative changes normal for now

Yes at this time everything with the pics submitted appear normal.  This is how I explain the transition from the operation to the final product. First all surgeons "beat up" on people for a living.  Its all a calculated trauma.  An area that has been liposuctioned is like an area underneath that a Hand Gernade went off.  No one can expect that an area with that much trauma to be healed completely for at least 6 month maybe longer.  What you are experiencing is what I call the pea gravel phase.  (pea gravel are just small rocks)  As the generalize swelling goes away there are other areas the were traumatized more that are still swollen and become visible.  As this swelling goes away then the skin continues to smooth out.  Follow your cosmetic surgeon instruction for massage and compression garments.

R. McIntyre Bridges, MD
Shreveport Plastic Surgeon

I had lipo 4 weeks 3 days ago; is this normal looking? The first pic is after

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. This is the surgical procedure that revolutionized cosmetic surgery becoming one of the most performed cosmetic procedures. Subcutaneous tissue or fat is removed in order to contour the body in a way that is harmonious and pleasing to the senses. It can be performed in almost all regions of the body such as the neck, chin, abdomen, back, buttocks, thighs, arms and ankles. Usually done through a small incision in the skin through which a cannula connected to a vacuum is applied, it can be performed alone or in combination with other procedures. After liposuction your body is going to be really swollen for at least 2 to 4 months after your surgery. It is important for you to wear your compression garment for at least 6 months, the first 3 months 24/7 and then the last 3 months at least 12 hours per day for your body get use to not having the faja for so many time. When you remove it, your body can get swollen and also you can have pain. Remember to also compress your body to prevent a seroma which is an accumulation of liquid that has to be drained, it is hard to touch and also really painful. Bruises are completely normal for almost 3 months from surgery, that’s why is better for you to use a bruising cream and apply it all over your body 3 times a day. To prevent bad circulation and swollen legs, use compression socks. Brazilian butt lift can be performed with the same procedure and for a month it will be swollen and it will drop a little bit without losing it’s shape if you use your garment.. If you’re going to perform liposuction on your inner, outer, anterior, lateral, postetior thighs, be careful and consult with your surgeon what’s best for you, sometimes we have more extra skin than fat, that can cause severe sagginess on our legs, which can be only be reversed performing a thigh lift!

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Pos op Lipo

Thank you for your question. It not unusual to have waviness and lumpiness after lipo and most of the time they subside in about 3 months. Some times massage or venus legacy treatments will help to heal faster. In your case I recommend you to talk to your surgeon express your concerns. Please let your surgeon know if you are going to do any non invasive procedures.

Scar tissue

The lumpiness, swelling, itching and hardness after a surgery like you had typically persists at least 8 weeks after the surgery then slowly goes away. In my experience, daily massage of the hard areas makes the biggest difference in getting rid of it sooner rather than later. It can easily take 6 months or more to see results. Be sure to keep any scheduled follow up appointments you have with your surgeons for his evaluation and advice. Hope this helps.

Dean Vistnes, M.D.
Vistnes Plastic Surgery
San Francisco Bay Area

#liposuction #drdeanvistnes #realself

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Post Lipo appearance

At this point, while most (but not all) of your swelling has resolved, your skin is also still going through changes. I find that a better time to start evaluating the results more critically is more like 4-6 months after surgery. Follow your surgeons instructions and be patient. Typically the minor irregularities improve with time.

Robert H. Hunsaker, MD

Post Liposuction Irregularities, Swelling -- Try Massage, Velashape or Venus Legacy With Your Compression

Swelling/lumpiness due to liposuction can last for months. Massage, RF treatments, Venus Legacy, hyperbaric oxygen and continued used of compression garments will drastically reduce swelling. I suggest consulting with your physician if you have concerns, and continue to follow his or her post op protocol. Best, Dr. Emer