Should I Continue with Tetracycline for Treating Rosacea?

I have been on Tetracycline for rosacea induced red nose and nasal swelling (I have been 1000 mg/10 days, then 500/day). I see a slight improvement, but recently, I started experiencing episodes of severe facial flushing throughout the day.

Does this mean the Tetracycline hasn't really kicked in yet, and I should stay on them for another month, or could I be reacting to the drugs? Is there something else I should be considering? I am 57 years old.

Tetracycline for Rosacea

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I generally prefer a low-dose doxycycline (fewer side effects) regimen +/- topicals and IPL/Fotofacial for treating Rosacea. Perhaps there is some other factor triggering the severe flushing. Regardless, if you are going to continue the Tetracycline antibiotic, I would taper off of it after 2-3 months as it tends to decrease in effectiveness over time and contribute to bacterial resistance. Hope this helps.

San Diego Dermatologist