I Have Terrible Dark Circle Under my Eyes. I Feel Like I Have a Little Eye Bags Too, Not Bad? (photo)

I am just 19 and I think it's genetic. I heard laser will take several time, so it there a more efficient and faster way to get rid of it? fillter? Or I heard there a surgery that can rearrange the fat under the eyes? Thank you very much! Mo

Doctor Answers 5

Belotero Balance Along With A Little Radiesse Works Well For Tear Troughs, Dark Circles & Bags Under the Eyes

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Tear troughs, hollows, dark circles, and bags are common problems of the lower lids. Although these  more commonly develop with age, I not uncommonly see them in much younger persons, such as yourself, who have them on a family trait, inherited basis.

It has become standard practice to treat this region with lighter weight fillers, like Juvederm or Restylane, to lift, straighten, and contour this region. Occasionally, if fillers are inadvertently placed too superficially, a bluish discoloration related to light scattering (a phenomenon known as the Tyndall effect) can occur, which can actually make the dark circles more prominent. Belotero Balance, a relatively new hyaluronic acid product, has been manufactured to avoid this. However, I have found that the addition of a tiny amount of Radiesse, a whitish-colored filler, to the Belotero, to be an excellent way of treating tear troughs and hollows and lightening existing dark circles. However, only an experienced, board certified aesthetic dermatology or plastic surgeon injector should attempt to treat this area in this fashion. The procedure takes only minutes to perform, often results in a "Wow!" reaction, and, in contrast to surgery, typically engender little in the way of downtime. I have been treating under eyes in this fashion for years, and have found that results of this approach often last for two or more years. Given what can be so easily and safely achieved with the above nonsurgical under eye rejuvenation technique, I would be very reluctant to recommend surgery, especially at such a young age. 


New York Dermatologic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 33 reviews

Darkness under the eyes

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Yes, fat can be moved to fill in what is called the tear trough.  Also, some products can be used to lighten the skin.  At 19 you are probably a bit young for surgery.  

Stuart H. Bentkover, MD
Boston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Under eye dark circle and eyebags can be successfully treated

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Yes you are right. Its genetic. The fundamental issue is that the bone under the eye has started to shrink and the soft tissues follow. My recommendation is for fillers and if you like the look after 12 months you can have lower eyelid surgery + orbital rim implant to augment the bone. Laser is not recommended because it does not increase the volume and has the risk of causing post inflammatory hyper pigmentation since you have a high risk of developing it.

Your dark circle is not so terrible.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Given your age, I would recommend trying moisturizer and eye concealer.  Laser will not cure dark circles, it can't remove the darkness.  Fillers are a much more predictable approach.

Kenneth D. Steinsapir, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 26 reviews

Dark Circles under Eyes

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

In your particular situation, I would not recommend surgery (i.e. blepharoplasty) but the use of injectable fillers instead.

I certainly would not recommend any laser treatments. The circles are a result of sculptural imperfection and filling the trough ("tear trough") is the most straight forward way to improve things.

Frank P. Fechner, MD
Worcester Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 48 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.