Is 6 weeks of not smoking OK for breast reduction??

Please help. Is 6 wks of smoking ok for breast reduction

Breast Reduction Surgery and Smoking

This will depend on your surgeon, there are varying opinions for this, for my patients I want them to quit smoking for a minimum of two weeks before and two weeks after surgery, but longer is better and hopefully they won't start again. Good luck.

Smoking cessation for breast reduction

every surgeon differs a little bit, the standard that I follow is 6 wks before surgery and 6 wks after.good luck

Shwetambara Parakh, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Smoking Cessation

Most surgeons will recommend at least 1 month of not smoking prior to a breast reduction, and also for a period of time afterward to allow for optimal healing.  Best not to risk it and be a non-smoker for as long as possible to minimize the complication risk (which is never actually "zero").

Dr. Dan Krochmal
MAE Plastic Surgery
Northbrook, IL

Daniel Krochmal, MD
Chicago General Surgeon

Congratulations on your decision to proceed with breast reduction surgery;  this operation tends to be one of the most patient pleasing operations we performed.  Protocols will vary from one practice to another;  you will find that most practices recommend cessation of smoking anywhere from 4 to 8 weeks prior to surgery. Best wishes.